Thread: a question for Tom Bigg

Question a question for Tom Bigg

Hi Tom (if you are actually on the forum)

Do you travel to South America often? I have an ex-colleague and friend who has returned there and am thinking of maybe using his place as a base for some record adventures. I have listened to your clips on the feature and they blow me away. I normally collect sixties beat and pop and psychedelic but do like soul and jazz and boogaloo stuff too. So to my question is it easy to find records in Brazil and are they many actual record shops or is it a case of markets and street fairs. I'd be in Florianopolis mainly.

Thanks for any kind of reply and not just Tom!

Best, Sean

Thanks for the interest Sean. I've only really shopped for records in Rio, & only been on 3 trips so I'm not much of an expert. I bought a few of the things in Ian's article there and they were all pretty reasonably priced. A few of the sellers I talked to ruefully said that the best place to buy Brazilian records now is Japan - they were all hoovered up in the 90s. That said, Rio at least has quite a few dedicated record shops and general second hand (junk) shops are also pretty common, as are flea market type events where you can pick up vinyl. Don't know anything about Florianopolis I'm afraid, but I'm sure you'll find some good records - especially if you're there for a while & your friend can hook you up with some good contacts.

I'm putting together a mix of more down-tempo Brazilian singer-songwriter stuff at the moment & I'll put up a link when it's finished (probably months from now if I'm realistic...)

Cheers

Tom

Ta for the reply Tom! I've sent a link to my friend and asked him to hunt around and do some homework before I visit which will probably be October time.

I look forward to hearing your mix too.

All The Best, Sean