PDA

View Full Version : BBC4.. Friday, March 1st.. 9.00 P.M... 'The Joy of Disco'..

d-cee
02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Just a heads up for this hour long documentary, which got a good write up in last Saturday's Guardian... how good it proves to be, only time will tell, but it's charting the origins of disco, from '69 to '79, taking you from the gay scene in New York, Stonewall riots, Studio 54 and the subsequent disco backlash, along with the Moroder euro disco sound.. no doubt there'll be a fair element of cheese, but with interviews with Nicky Siano and Nile Rogers, among others, should hopefully be worth a butchers to anyone of a disco persuasion..

Ian Townsend
02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Cheers for the heads-up D-Cee.

Have you seen that documentary called (I think ) '77'? I'm sure Mr Sayers posted the link for it.

Excellent documentary all about how the NY power blackout fuelled Hip Hop, the growth of punk from the New Wave, Disco stuff.... Well worth seeing. :cool:

d-cee
02-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah, think I saw it in sections via youtube, great documentary with some fantastic footage I'd not seen previously..

Do you know if the film about Nicky Siano's club, 'The Gallery' ever made it to DVD?... think there were a couple of screenings a couple of years back, down in London, but not sure if anything was released? Would still love to see that..

mr sayers
02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up Davie mate, I think I'll record it.:cool:

d-cee
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Looks like I'm gonna miss out as I can't get away from work before 9.00....

ceemillar
03-03-2012, 07:17 AM
I thought this was disappointing but I want a copy of that penthouse 12 now. Ok for teenagers who might want to know what disco was, glad i recorded it so i can sit and watch it with my girls. disco at the BBC straight after was much better just loads of good bits. Could that male singer in odyssey have looked any less interested in being in the group and how young were hi tension? Still get tingles from hearing native new yorker what a tune that was.

Ian Townsend
06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I thought this was disappointing but I want a copy of that penthouse 12 now. Ok for teenagers who might want to know what disco was, glad i recorded it so i can sit and watch it with my girls. disco at the BBC straight after was much better just loads of good bits. Could that male singer in odyssey have looked any less interested in being in the group and how young were hi tension? Still get tingles from hearing native new yorker what a tune that was.

Amen to all that. Just caught this last night (did you get to see it Davey?)

I thought it was an interesting primer for Disco which any present day eighteen year old could soak up but it was elevated by good interviews for anyone who knew the story. Impossible to get the whole damn history of Disco into one hour of course but they did a pretty good job of overviewing it's rise and fall (and rise).

The BBC at the Disco afterwards was more interesting to me. Agree about Hi Tension... they all looked bout fourteen! Never new the lead singer of Odyssey left to work as an electrician either. I hope he looked more interested in electrics than he did singing.

d-cee
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Managed to catch it all, and was majorly disappointed by it. The '69 to '79 promises had given me a bit of false hope, the whole thing was very lazy, I felt, with no mention of Francis Grasso and a whole load of others, nor labels such as Salsoul, West End and Prelude, not to mention the invention of the 12" and its significance. Obviously there is a hell of a lot to cram into an hour, but for me, that makes some of the inclusions all the more lame.. Craig, I know you watched it after my heads-up on here, and for that I can only apologize!.. I'll do a proper documentary when I've won the lottery!.. :D

Ian Townsend
08-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Have to say I had no high expectations of it and it traced an arc at least . History of Disco in an hour? Tall order that!
(Now win that bloody Lottery pronto!)