PDA

View Full Version : Folk Funk Experience / Folk Funk Flavours?

Ian Townsend
16-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm presently working on the 1995 instalment of the 90's Boot series which includes the fantastic Folk Funk Experience lp.

I'm searching around to see if there was any mention of 'Folk Funk' as a genre before this date or if the compilers did indeed coin the term which was then picked up on and used later by the Mighty Mellow and the Harmless Make Music / As We Travel comps.

If anyone here is aware of the term being used earlier than 1995 I'd really appreciate it.

niglin66
28-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I remember buying my copy of folk funk experience in camden market when it first came out. I remember seeing lots of bootleg groovy soundtrack compilations and the 1st kaminsky experience l.ps at the same time, but with the folk funk experience l.p it was certainly the first time i had heard the term 'FOLK FUNK' as a genre term. Nearly 20 years on i rate that l.p as a hugely important release. and i remember feeling that i was party to an undiscovered/comped genre.
Still play it a lot, been passed around a lot to friends who became converts. The finders keepers guys put out Christine Harwoods take on wooden ships which sits in my jukebox. I have always been curious as to who was behind that particular compilation though. i never phoned the toke tel/fax number on the back of the sleeve, but would be interested to know if you do.

Ian Townsend
29-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I remember buying my copy of folk funk experience in camden market when it first came out. I remember seeing lots of bootleg groovy soundtrack compilations and the 1st kaminsky experience l.ps at the same time, but with the folk funk experience l.p it was certainly the first time i had heard the term 'FOLK FUNK' as a genre term. Nearly 20 years on i rate that l.p as a hugely important release. and i remember feeling that i was party to an undiscovered/comped genre.
Still play it a lot, been passed around a lot to friends who became converts. The finders keepers guys put out Christine Harwoods take on wooden ships which sits in my jukebox. I have always been curious as to who was behind that particular compilation though. i never phoned the toke tel/fax number on the back of the sleeve, but would be interested to know if you do.
Keeep a tight hold of it N, it's getting harder to find these days. A lot of interest in Folk Funk - style stuff seemed to come after it but the phrase must have been uttered earlier at some point surely?

It all seems to tie-in with the way that mid-90s crate-diggers began to look for 'funk in unexpected places.' It's almost as if they were challenging each other to pick up deliberately non-funky looking lps like it was a challenge or something.

I'll try the phone number on the back at some point; what's the betting it leads nowhere? :rolleyes: As the boot series rolls towards lps that have bar codes on I'll report on what they read as. :D

Visions of Tomato Egg & Lettuce
29-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Ian, I think I first heard the term used on record lists, these should be fairly easy to date.
Also it seemed to morph into 'hybrid' at some stage.
I will try and dig some old lists out...

Ian Townsend
01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
If you could find any B that'd be really useful.

moogaloo
19-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I seem to remember Giles Peterson / Patrick forge using the term earlier, and I know that Tim one of the compilers of these comps got very much into this side of thing and I think he got into it through being introduced to it by Giles Peterson / Patrick forge's radio shows.

I may be able to get hold of a phone number / email address for Tim if you are interested?

Ian Townsend
19-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I would really appreciate that C.:)
I noticed a mint Folk Funk Experience lp popped up briefly on Discogs this week for £30 and was gone in less than a day. I'm going to try and find out just how many of these were pressed.

Peter Sundae
20-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I seem to remember Giles Peterson / Patrick forge using the term earlier, and I know that Tim one of the compilers of these comps got very much into this side of thing and I think he got into it through being introduced to it by Giles Peterson / Patrick forge's radio shows.

I may be able to get hold of a phone number / email address for Tim if you are interested?

Yep I remember "I'd rather be the devil" by John Martyn being played at Bar Rhumba in London, sandwiched between better known dance tunes, James brown Gil scott heron type stuff. This would have been around 92.