PDA

View Full Version : Repro 45s

treeboy
01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I know they are not everybodys cup of tea, but for us mere mortals who can't afford to blow a couple of weeks wages on a 45, some of the repro 45s are the only way of picking up great tunes on 45. I just spotted (and picked up) 4 which I haven't seen before, all corkers, and from the clips I've heard, pretty good sound too.
Timebox-Begging
The Quik-Berts Apple Crumble
The Tickle-Subway (i've been watching this disappear into expensive collections for more years than I care to remember, one of my fave UK psych 45s)
Calum Bryce- Lovemaker

auxillary_output
01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Are these 'repros' as in those with white labels and titled in pen? There was a flood of those on Ebay a while back, Every time the people selling them were banned a new bunch of sites selling them exclusively popped up.

They finally disappeared for good after police raided premises in Bedford and confiscated thousands of their stock of 45s. I'm sure I remember reading an article about the raid on an old issue of Record Collector.

galtee mountain casual
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't mind pressings but I object to them being made to look like originals they should be clearly identifiable

treeboy
02-02-2013, 07:20 AM
They are dead ringers for the originals. The Timebox 45 is particularly convincing. The Acme box sets, and the Decca series of Great British Psychedelic singles box sets from a few years before were great. I would have carried on buying them until the cows came home. In the absence of legitimate reissues, it is a dilemma which I'm sure we all wrestle with. I dream of a psych equivalent of the Numero Eccentric Soul box. Nominations for inclusion? All right then, a series of equivalent box sets....In the words of Cupids Inspiration, DREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!:rolleyes:

Rubble on 45 anyone?

Ian Townsend
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Are these 'repros' as in those with white labels and titled in pen? There was a flood of those on Ebay a while back, Every time the people selling them were banned a new bunch of sites selling them exclusively popped up.
Remember that but by God they had some great obscure and ridiculously hard-to-find Northern Soul and Popcorn records. They must have made masters from someone with a seriously heavy collection. I'll see if I can find a link to the VG+ thread on it. I recall being shot down (gently) for suggesting I would buy some. They were all £12.99 if I recall correctly? Naughty though. Very naughty.

And now Amoeba are doing the same thing, only as MP3s.

They are dead ringers for the originals. The Timebox 45 is particularly convincing.
There was a huge discussion on Soul Source about this subject. The majority of posters were annoyed by repros looking identical to originals. Naughty though. Very naughty.

And now Amoeba are not bothering to press anything at all, just the tunes hovering out there in cyberspace as MP3s waiting for your 79p.

mr sayers
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Like you say good way to get stuff you would never own otherwise on single, not that interested in buying them though, might be a bit more tempted by the odd one if a local shop stocked them. I wouldn't bother myself to go online to track them down. The only reissue single I own is that Third Bardo EP Sundazed put out years ago.

Ian Townsend
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
The only reissue single I own is that Third Bardo EP Sundazed put out years ago.
:eek:You burned your Spokes???!!!

Why must I cry? :(

:p :p :p

treeboy
02-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Surely Amoeba are cutting their own throats? I went to Amoeba in San Francisco a few years back, and the place is like an aircraft hangar rammed out with vinyl. Apparently the LA one is even bigger. With such a huge stake in selling vinyl, why get into the Mp3 market? Or is it just greed?
A few years just turned into 8 years!

mr sayers
02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
:eek:You burned your Spokes???!!!

Why must I cry? :(

:p :p :p

Sorry Ian, I stand corrected!:o

I also have some Licorice soul ones too.:cool:

treeboy
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM

They finally disappeared for good after police raided premises in Bedford and confiscated thousands of their stock of 45s. I'm sure I remember reading an article about the raid on an old issue of Record Collector.

I think I've located one of the cops that confiscated the too hot to handle 45s:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-yBc8txHaA