PDA

View Full Version : Yet another article about vinyl

Carlos
23-01-2013, 11:42 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21010240

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65273000/jpg/_65273034_65273033.jpg

eruditio
23-01-2013, 06:01 PM
I read that article yesterday and couldn't quite understand how she had managed to reduce the whole of vinyl collecting into just two polar extremes. The high end expensive reissues she talks about sell to people with large disposable incomes who buy coffee table books.

I can't understand how, with so many music forums out there, she has completely missed the kind of people who check in here, Waxidemy, VG+, G45, DWG and so on. People who just like looking for records they'll either enjoy at home or who are building collections to play out. None of the collectors featured on the Forumusic site fit into the categories she has created, and I personally know a dozen or so people like Julian / Tom / Boneyvotel who love their music on vinyl, go out looking for it regularly and don't even go on any forums!

I'd like to say that talking about vinyl refusing to die is a trend at the moment but the media has been pushing these stories for ten years now. It's all getting very old.

Ian Townsend
23-01-2013, 08:13 PM
My word on it:

Vinyl and collecting vinyl will be around for a very long time yet because there's still so much of it around! It's got, what? ...... forty years of production advantage over CD? And that's the crux of it. Bleedin' obvious I know, but every other long- winded discussion about it never seems to mention tbe sheer bulk of vinyl still in existence.

And I reckon given that bulk there's at least 10 more fertile years of uncovering interesting acetates, private press releases, one-offs etc etc...

treeboy
23-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Not sure my knees will take another ten years crawling about looking through dusty boxes!:rolleyes:

ironheadrat
24-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I wish nobody had posted that article and it hadn't mentioned Dragostea Din Tei and I hadn't looked for it.
It's been non-stop numa numa hey hallo picasso numa numa numa in my head for two days now. It's like having a cold