PDA

View Full Version : Wilko Johnson diagnosed

auxillary_output
09-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Sad news.
Wilko Johnson announced he has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20956351).

Carlos
09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Very sad news. :( Hope he has the time to finish everything he wants to.

auxillary_output
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
It's great that he's carrying on to finish his CD and planning a farewell tour. Good on him!

treeboy
09-01-2013, 10:04 PM
First lp I ever bought was Malpractice.
Pancreatic cancer is doing my head in at the moment. Maybe my age, but have lost 3 friends in two months to it. Seems like by the time symtoms manifest themself, it's game over.
Went to Southend last summer. Wilko was promoting his biography, upstairs in a pub on the seafront. he was witty, erudite, fiercely intelligent, and mad as a box of frogs all at the same time. Got to have a chat with him afterwards, and he signed my copy of the book.
Saw him live in Hertford later in the year. It was magic. The place was rammed . Full of old gits like myself. Wilko and Norman Watt-Roy were made for eachother.
If he is saying farewell anywhere near you, do yourself a favour, get down there and applaud a real one off talent.
This one has got to me.

Ian Townsend
10-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Awful news. Man's a dude! Me and my schoolmates had a record player in school and used to have the Down By The Jetty lp (and Eddie & The Hotrods - Teenage Depression) on repeat during breaktimes whilst air drumming. He so brilliant to watch in that Canvey island documentary too... a real character.

Very sad but cosign Carlos' comment!

treeboy
23-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Missed out on tickets for Koko (2 dates). Sold out within an hour reportedly. Glad the gigs have sold out though. He would have made a great presenter for The Sky At Night. Too bad.