PDA

View Full Version : Culture at Xmas

Ian Townsend
29-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Always nice to chill, read, watch stuff at Xmas.

Began the holiday reading the big soft back from Vibe magazine on the History of Hip Hop from 2002 or thereabouts. Not written as a single chronological book but a collection of essays. Fascinating stuff within it. Had no idea the Wood, Brass and Steel band who released a couple of digger favourite lps in the early 70s went on to be the Sugarhill Records studio band. Huge thank you to Brother Logic for sending it to me.

Bought two copies of Caitlin Moran's semi- autobiographical book How To Be A Woman ( for girlfriend and daughter) and I'm the only one reading it at present. Four chapters in and it's Laugh out loud funny so far on periods, pubes, pr*n etc. So many great one-liners in it. Can't wait to get back to it later today.

Totally absorbed watching George Clooney in Tbe Descendants yesterday. Funny, touching, moving film. I'm sure lots of folks would find lots to hate about it but I thought it was deftly handled and was piping a tear in places. I really liked Our George in Up In The Air too.

Off to shop this afternoon and fingers- crossed my lil girl and I will get in to a showing of The Life of Pi.

Nice to have time to just absorb stuff.....

treeboy
29-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to do at Christmas. I was getting stuck into Mark Markesich's mammoth garage(soon to be) bible, but somehow got cajolled into sorting out the hallway and the hallway cupboard. Managed to fill up a whole recycling bin, 3/4 full of cardboard mailers from the depths of the cupboard! Friends coming over tonight, so am hoovering and cleaning etc. Definitely getting back to the book tomorrow!
Managed to get out to The Roundhouse last night to see thishttp://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/fuerzabruta-2012
Fantastic.
Looking forward to puttting my feet up some time soon

Ian Townsend
29-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Jealous of you seeing that show, read reviews of it a few weeks ago and sounds proper mad!

Back home with daughter; postponed Life of Pi as we picked up DVDs of 'Ętre et Avoir' and 'Dead Man's Shoes' whilst charity shop shopping today and I'm jonesin' to see both.

I knew I wanted to see the French one but had forgotten the title until I saw it again today. Supposed to be a real gem of a film.

treeboy
30-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Just finished watching Peter Wothers' fantastic series of Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on Chemistry. Very engaging presentation, loads of big bangs and flashes. Might even have learned a thing or two along the way.:rolleyes:

Ian Townsend
30-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Just finished watching Peter Wothers' fantastic series of Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on Chemistry. Very engaging presentation, loads of big bangs and flashes. Might even have learned a thing or two along the way.:rolleyes:
Balls! Love those and missed them. Off to iPlayer to find them. Always good bits to show kids in lessons. Had a very non- cultural day idly starting Pinterest boards for Forumusic (https://pinterest.com/forumusic/forumusic/).

Serious hard work finishing off fresh articles begins at 5am tomorrow morning.... Woo hoo! So I guess tomorrow is kinda cultural. :rolleyes:

ironheadrat
01-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I knew I wanted to see the French one but had forgotten the title until I saw it again today. Supposed to be a real gem of a film.

that's in the top 5 round our house. It will break your heart.
I read Frankenstein again for my course. Mary Shelley was 19 when she wrote it.
Saw Life of Pi too, which was great, especially the HYENA.
On the decks it's all been heartwringing love songs over christmas for some reason

I love what Sivuca (I guess) does at the start and end of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPz00MeZ80

Mina and Morricone crank it up to 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2oIqAD40o

Col Wolfe
01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Serious hard work finishing off fresh articles begins at 5am tomorrow morning.... Woo hoo! So I guess tomorrow is kinda cultural. :rolleyes:

How about sending off Spoke4 to the pressing plant after I bust a gut prepping it for October/November/December deadlines...?

:p

Ian Townsend
01-01-2013, 08:45 PM
that's in the top 5 round our house. It will break your heart.
It totally did. I was filling up at the end. An absolutely magical bit of documentary film-making.
Will hopefully see the Life of Pi before the week is out, if I can just avoid the chore of sending off Spoke 4 to the vinyl pressing plant...but sssssssshhh don't say nuthin'.

Edit: BTW ironheadrat, have you indulged in Caitlin Moran's - How To Be A Woman?
Very light and very funny. Some beautifully phrased one-liners that had me crying with laughter.
Highly recommended.

Ian Townsend
01-01-2013, 08:46 PM
How about sending off Spoke4 to the pressing plant after I bust a gut prepping it for October/November/December deadlines...?

I'm on it!

(Seriously)

:)

treeboy
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
I was wondering what had happened to that. Didn't want to ask really. STILL looking forward to hearing it.:)

ironheadrat
02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Edit: BTW ironheadrat, have you indulged in Caitlin Moran's - How To Be A Woman?
Very light and very funny. Some beautifully phrased one-liners that had me crying with laughter.
Highly recommended.

Not yet, but I fully expect it to turn up at an expat carboot sale shortly. All the best sellers do eventually. I've got an almost complete collection of the works of Clarkson.
I've seen her stuff one or twice in The Times, where she seems wasted on celebrity fluff, frankly.

Col Wolfe
02-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm on it!

(Seriously)

:)

Pics or it didn't happen

(as The Yoot say)