PDA

View Full Version : Book: Demons, Fairies and Wailing Guitars

Ian Townsend
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Some people here might be interested in this (http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Fairies-Wailing-Guitars-ebook/dp/B009ZHKWZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1351866737&sr=1-1)?

The Quote from the Amazon page:

Although the Sixties and Seventies are long gone, the lure of the popular music of then is still very strong. The great bands of that era are still incredibly popular in today's world and on nearly every record shelf, CD rack or MP3 library of a young Rock fan as well as of an actual 60's-70's "graduate", you can find albums by The Beatles, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. However, if you think that said era can be summed up and reduced only to those bands, as good and as famous as they may be, you are mistaken. For every worldwide recognized band, there are dozens if not hundreds of bands which were not as lucky, and in many cases, unjustly so.
Meticulously researched, "Demons, Fairies & Wailing Guitars" covers the finest 100 obscured bands from all the corners of the world and from all shades of Rock music in 1968-1976: Progressive Rock, Psychedelia, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Folk Rock, Singer-Songwriter, Krautrock and more. It also offers exclusive photos and interviews which add a personal touch to these often untold stories.
If you're a fan of 60's-70's Rock music – this is going to be your bible, your guide to the uncharted musical territories of the era.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A lot of very familiar names in it to regular forum dwellers but there are a handful I've never heard of before.

There's a limited signed first print run of 100 available by contacting the author on his Facebook page. (http://www.facebook.com/raanan.chelled)

Col Wolfe
04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
which reminds me of a recent contact - please see your email!

eruditio
04-11-2012, 12:08 PM
The Best 100 Obscured Rock Acts? Really? Groundhogs, Trees, Amon Duul, Rodriguez, Budgie, Hawkwind, Morgen, Atomic Rooster.....

I see this was originally released in Hebrew only and it's only just been translated. Fifteen years ago it might have been interesting but now?

Sorry to sound like a pseud / nerd / geek but seriously...this shit is old!

treeboy
04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Peoples music taste changes. Someone who has a stronger interest in say, soul, funk for example and is broadminded enough to look beyond their genre, may find it interesting to go a bit deeper and get a few good steers. Cast your mind back to when you first became interested in music. Personally I devoured everything I could get hold of in terms of books magazines etc. which in the early -mid seventies wasn't a lot. I think it looks ok for a delve below the initial interface with rock music. I haven't looked inside the book, so I can't comment on exactly how useful it is. It looks like there are some interesting bits though. How anyone knows very much about Morgen is beyond me as Flashback have just included the first EVER major interview with Steven Morgen.
I don't think you should write it off just because it's old hat to yourself, for some people this will be useful. Just my opinion:)