PDA

View Full Version : The Wire Salon: November 1st: Crate Digging Seminar

Ian Townsend
27-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Anyone else going this Thursday (1st November)? Jonny Trunk, Chris Menist, Doug Shipton discussing crate digging around the world.

Unmissable for me. Thanks to Einekleine for the heads-up on this.:cool:

The Wire Salon: Crate Digging (http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/10001/)

Recent years have seen the emergence of a host of grassroots record labels and music blogs which seem hellbent on rewiring our sense of history. Think of the rapidly expanding archives of labels such as Finders Keepers, Soundway, Unseen Worlds, Paradigm Discs, Trunk, EM, Public Information and Numero, or blogs like Mutant Sounds, Analog Africa and Awesome Tapes From Africa. The obscure, neglected or unheard music that floods out of these samizdat operations from all points on the compass is accumulating into an alternative history of 20th century sound, undermining the official narratives of multiple popular genres and art musics alike, asserting the primacy of the previously occluded innovations of potting shed electronic composers and anonymous library music experimentalists, the cassette cultures of West Africa and the Pacific Rim, or the mass of private press releases that documented the below the radar activities of legions of amateur soul troupes, school orchestras, vernacular sound poets, and crackpot singer-songwriters.

In the process of going public with the discoveries thrown up by their audio archaeology, the record collectors and crate diggers that run these labels and blogs assume the status of revisionist historians. By unearthing sonic documents that predated or sidestepped music's great aesthetic or conceptual leaps forward, but which for a variety of reasons were wiped from the record, or never made it there in the first place, they reveal the capricious and serendipitous roles played by fashion, commerce and geopolitics in explaining why some things become cultural icons while others rot in the dustbin of history.

For this edition of The Wire Salon, a panel of label runners and bloggers including Jonny Trunk (Trunk Records) and Chris Menist (Paradise Bangkok/Original Press 365/Soundway), Clive Graham (Paradigm Discs) and Doug Shipton (Finders Keepers) will discuss the processes and consequences of digging up musical relics and audio artefacts in out of the way places and then putting them out into the world for public consumption and contemplation.

The panel will be moderated by The Wire's Editor-in-Chief Tony Herrington, who will also host a special Salon crate digging quiz in which you can test your knowledge against the vastness of the archive. Prizes will be awarded!

London Café Oto, 1 November, 8pm, £4 tickets on the door only

treeboy
28-10-2012, 09:23 AM
That looks great. Will try my best to drag myself into the smoke. Should be a good night.:)

Ian Townsend
30-10-2012, 10:04 AM
That looks great. Will try my best to drag myself into the smoke. Should be a good night.:)
Pm me if you're heading down there!

Trying to see if any London- based VG+ errs are going but I don't think a chatty Seminar is that appealing to many on a cold November evening.:(

treeboy
30-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm keeping it open, I've even persuaded the far better half of the partnership to come along. Hoping it will make her realise I'm not the only vinyl obsessed saddo on the planet....just kidding.
The Nov 17th concert looks good.
http://www.cafeoto.co.uk/steffen-basho-junghans-cam-deas.shtm
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't make that one as I'm off to Australia to take in the total eclipse and catch up with my old vinyl hunting buddy. Guesting on his radio show, so am gonna take a small box of 45s out. Going head to head at The Hula Bula bar in Perth (a Tiki bar designed by Josh who designed the interior of Intoxica).
Probably be a bit of clandestine crate digging going on too!
I digress..........:)
I'll find a link to his radio show, it's along the lines of Mark Lamarrs Shake, Rattle and Roll.

Col Wolfe
30-10-2012, 06:50 PM
send my regards to Josh & Babz - tho they probably don't remember me :o

treeboy
30-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Will do. Wow, small world! Babz was/is one of the gogo dancers at another of Josh's creations, Devilles, a very cool club in Perth which I am gagging to get a look at. We are going there to see our friends band Rocket To Memphis play. All part of that same scene in Perth.

treeboy
30-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Inside Devilles, Little White Lies do the Moving Sidewalks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJpXcHE2l7M

MC Razor Jack (he gets everywhere!)

Ian Townsend
30-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm keeping it open, I've even persuaded the far better half of the partnership to come along. Hoping it will make her realise I'm not the only vinyl obsessed saddo on the planet....just kidding.

If you're there...look out for the vinyl / boots / Swap CDs obsessed saddo with the glasses, square bald patch and big nose carrying a camera and trying to digitally record the debate whilst trying to chip in as crassly as possible.

And say Hello!
:)

treeboy
30-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Of course.... Good move recording it

treeboy
02-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Good to meet you Ian. Very interesting evening. I had a few thoughts on the way home, will put something together later, but heres that tune I was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Tm4WnPkV4

Ian Townsend
02-11-2012, 05:41 PM
And great to meet you and your good lady T!

I probably did my usual rambling on enthusiastically about everything and nothing interspersed with dribbling Coke down myself so sorry about that but what an enjoyable evening that was.

And what a quiz performance eh? :D

Right! Courtesy requires a brief review over at Vg+; I think a minor disagreement has broken out over the relevance of 'audio anthropologist.'

treeboy
02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
One of the interesting topics talked around last night, was taking music from a culture you don't really understand, and re-presenting it basically in a superficial "yeah, that SOUNDS good" manner, to a new audience, who likewise may not know anything about the culture it came from, or understand what the song is about......I'm having trouble articulating this, but it's something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l274PJTsejU

Ian Townsend
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM
One of the interesting topics talked around last night, was taking music from a culture you don't really understand, and re-presenting it basically in a superficial "yeah, that SOUNDS good" manner, to a new audience, who likewise may not know anything about the culture it came from, or understand what the song is about......I'm having trouble articulating this, but it's something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l274PJTsejU
I thought Chis Menist's conversation about playing the Thai tunes he and his DJ partner had selected as 'funky' to a Thai audience was very interesting too. The whole bit about them not comprehending why anyone would want to listen to old country music....

The part about different interpretations of psychedelic and trance too.