PDA

View Full Version : Palma Violets!!! The Best New Band in Britain!!!

eruditio
13-10-2012, 08:32 AM
A-Side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poFXWUTEs1k

Signed to Rough Trade. First limited edition single and CD single out October 22.
Purple vinyl copies already available on Ebay for a fiver!
Libertines / Strummer comparisons flying about. NME front page. Living in a squat! Sarf London! etc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-Side
The healthy cynicism in the YouTube comments.

Nothing forever changes. :rolleyes:

treeboy
13-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Well if they were on the front page of the Enemy they must be!!:)

Ian Townsend
13-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I want to love the YouTube comments but I'm on a 12-step program of mantra-chanting to cure my -ism and its related hackles.

It doesn't matter they're pretending to be roughing it in a squat.
It doesn't matter they actually met in Richmond-Upon-Thames.
It's not their fault they are from comfortable homes.
They have every right to play at being poor, wild and edgy.

They're teenagers for f'sake. That's what teenagers do!

I'm getting there.......

ironheadrat
13-10-2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/tve1963-19620614-326.jpg

cobblers

treeboy
13-10-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/tve1963-19620614-326.jpg

cobblers

Beautiful!:D

galtee mountain casual
14-10-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm assuming the Strummer comparisons go along the lines of "they're not as good as Strummer........"

Gingham Kitchen
14-10-2012, 11:53 AM
They went to public school, too.

Ian Townsend
14-10-2012, 01:00 PM
They went to public school, too.
Alas! Joe Strummer was like me.... (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3585754/Alas-Joe-Strummer-was-like-me.html)

I seriously need to conquer my -ism.

It's neither rational nor fair. You are born into the family / wealth / lack of wealth / love / lack of love that you are born into and there's no choice involved.

French and Saunders did a really sharp sketch once with Dawn French playing a boarding public school girl who's parents had forgotten to collect her at the start of the school holidays.

It reminded of the time I worked at a summer school. On the very first day of the summer holiday all these parents driving Rolls, Mercedes and BMW's were dropping their kids off. Some of the kids were seriously maladjusted and most of them had just finished their summer term at boarding school! I remember thinking WTF? When do these kids get to spend anytime at home with their mum and dad being normal?

I'm only just realizing there's no normal, just very different. Watching Come Dine With Me, Wife Swap and Holiday Swap programmes has been a real education and an eye- opener.

feenix
15-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Palma Violets: Best of Friends b/w Last of the Summer Wine. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palma-Violets-Best-of-Friends-Debut-Single-PURPLE-VINYL-LIMITED-TO-200-COPIES-/261113659761?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3ccb964171)

Debut single on Rough Trade Records.

Limited Edition Purple Vinyl... Only 200 available and sold out!

New up and coming back... Tipped to bring back the punk and shock the industry!! Sex Pistols is ringing bells!

A must have for collectors.. This limited first pressing could a massive profit maker if they do bring back the punk that changed our music industry so much!

This is a pre-sale item... Realised in 22.10.12... I should have delivery by the time this auction ends, so shouldn't be a delay!

Check out my other rare records and limited pressings...

Good luck bidding!!!

Ian Townsend
15-10-2012, 07:08 AM
To like or not to like is not the question.

To cop (and re-sell) or not to cop....:rolleyes:

treeboy
15-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Palma Violets: Best of Friends b/w Last of the Summer Wine. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palma-Violets-Best-of-Friends-Debut-Single-PURPLE-VINYL-LIMITED-TO-200-COPIES-/261113659761?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3ccb964171)

New up and coming back... Tipped to bring back the punk and shock the industry!! Sex Pistols is ringing bells!

A must have for collectors.. This limited first pressing could a massive profit maker if they do bring back the punk that changed our music industry so much!

This is a pre-sale item... Realised in 22.10.12... I should have delivery by the time this auction ends, so shouldn't be a delay!

Good luck bidding!!!

Pardon me if I pass on that one. Nothing like a bit of mis-placed hype to get the old hackles up. So where are the Libertines now? I had the same reaction to all the hype surrounding the supposed new age of angry young men promised by their emergence. If you are really excited by them, all well and good. Support them and run with it. The New Sex Pistols? Are you sure? Yes, I'm old and jaded, but "shock the industry"? Did I watch the same clip?
I'm off to see The Jim Jones Revue on Saturday night. In the absence of MC5 or The Stooges, it's the nearest I can get to rock'n'roll absolution in todays musical climate.
Hope you make buckets of cash on the 45. Mr Lydon would approve I'm sure.:rolleyes:

ironheadrat
15-10-2012, 08:22 PM
[. This limited first pressing could a massive profit maker if they do bring back the punk that changed our music industry so much!

!!!

"Turning rebellion into money", as Joe Strummer said shortly before jetting off to the barricades in Belfast to pout and look moody then flying back again to write a song about how rubbish his Jamaican holiday was. .

auxillary_output
15-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Palma Violets got the cover courtesy of the over-zealous reporter. The same issue namechecked 25 other new bands to listen out for and some of them are really good.

treeboy
16-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Good luck bidding!!!

99p start price, ended with no bids! Surely not. Don't todays kids know what's good for them? Only kidding.....unlucky fella.:)

Ian Townsend
17-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Palma Violets got the cover courtesy of the over-zealous reporter. The same issue namechecked 25 other new bands to listen out for and some of them are really good.
Really good is OK but if any of them are very, very good....POAST 'EM UP! :)

Ian Townsend
17-10-2012, 03:57 PM
99p start price, ended with no bids! Surely not. Don't todays kids know what's good for them? Only kidding.....unlucky fella.:)
Early grippers are now sticking the single on Ebay at £9.99. It's not even out yet they must be selling the ones they've pre-ordered. Always intrigued by this kind of thing. Are the profit margins really worth it?

I just noticed that Amulet Records who are holding stock of the first Jake Bugg have just put the BIN price up to £34.99 (up £10 in 3 days!) so in that instance they've made a healthy profit, but what about all those that don't rise or even sell?

Highland Doom
18-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Perfectly average.

eruditio
18-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Perfectly average.
Perfectly put.

ceemillar
23-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Not my kind of music really but they sound like a poor version of the Skids or the Waterboys on a bad day.
They're only young though so good luck to them and they're definitely not the first or won't be the last rich kids trying to be all street.

AlanP
24-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Not my kind of music really but they sound like a poor version of the Skids or the Waterboys on a bad day.
They're only young though so good luck to them and they're definitely not the first or won't be the last rich kids trying to be all street.

yeah, now that you mention it, I can hear the Skids there as well.

not for me but every generation has to reinvent this stuff. dead 'ard with it as well, but Vince Neill could still take them.