PDA

View Full Version : Bands you're not too sure if you like or not!?

mr sayers
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
For me it's the Edgar Boughton band, I own 'Sing brother sing', I love 'There's no vibrations but wait!' on there but Ive yet to warm to the rest of the LP. I kinda find them a bit of a poor mans 'Beefheart'. I saw a cheap copy of 'Wasa wasa' the other day and I didn't pick it up as I wasn't convinced I'd like it, Ive just checked it out on Youtube and I still can't make my mind up!:o

What bands that you would potentially buy do you struggle with?:confused:

Ian Townsend
08-02-2012, 05:39 PM
For me it's the Edgar Boughton band, I own 'Sing brother sing', I love 'There's no vibrations but wait!' on there but Ive yet to warm to the rest of the LP. I kinda find them a bit of a poor mans 'Beefheart'. I saw a cheap copy of 'Wasa wasa' the other day and I didn't pick it up as I wasn't convinced I'd like it, Ive just checked it out on Youtube and I still can't make my mind up!:o

What bands that you would potentially buy do you struggle with?:confused:

You named one of mine right there. I've got Beefheart's Safe As Milk lp which always seems to appear in best rock album lists and it just didn't do anything for me. As usual though, was buying a load of lps at once and probably haven't really given it a proper Peter Sundae-style sit down and focus listen. I know it was before Trout Mask Replica which is another one I struggled with.

In my youth, well, starting work around the age of 22 anyway, everyone was 'You must hear Tom Waits' and I did, lots and only ONE track of his ever buzzed me, and that was on a sampler. Fortunately everyone was also saying 'Oh man you must hear Joni Mitchell' too... and that was one I totally agreed with and still do.

I have Incredible String Bands 'Hangman's Beautiful Daughter' and 5000 Layers of The Onion too, and neither of them connected and I really tried.

mr sayers
08-02-2012, 06:38 PM
You've defiantly got be in the mood for a bit of Beefheart, I don't think Ive sat down and listened to 'Trout mask replica' in it's entirety in a oner ever, don't think I ever will!:D

Old School Tramp
28-02-2012, 12:04 AM
With Tom Waits you just need to purchase "The Heart Of Saturday Night", it's a beautiful album from start to finish.

I like a lot of Joni's albums, "Mingus" & "Blue" both do it for me.

I don't get the Incredible String Band, just sounds like incompetent folk to me!

LDJB
28-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Van Morrison - I really struggle with 'Astral Weeks' - always in the best albums of all time ever lists but it sounds like arse ache to me :confused:

mr sayers
28-02-2012, 07:54 PM
After purchasing a copy of 'Wasa wasa' the other week Ive now decided I like the Edgar Broughton band.:cool: