PDA

View Full Version : The Audio Blue Collection lp: Tracks by session musicians?

Ian Townsend
28-08-2012, 09:57 AM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/audio_blue_front.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/audio_blue_detail_1.jpg

Just listening to this yesterday and researching it, I can't find any further or earlier information out about:

Low Drivers - Violet Zone / Red Zone
Lee Arnold Trio - Funky Chimes
Rick Walter Revue - Slick Chick
D. Mensah - Fine & Funky
King Ant - Filigree Funk
Wolfgang Mottman - Funky Teahouse
The Feelings - Feeling Tense

I'm feeling the first vibe that these tracks were a case of ye olde 'session musicians encouraged to jam in the studio in the style of' practice, as has been done before.

I have to check it out with my big bro but apparently a lot of tracks on the Morgan Khan / Street Sounds / UK Electro lps were done by an 80s one-hit wonder band in much the same way. Khan played them a load of the tracks he was licensing and got them to churn a dozen or so soundalikes out. Whack a fancy name on and job done.

These tracks from Audio Blue did all reappear on Mighty Mellow Three of course, but that's the only place I can find any other record of them.
Audio Blue Collection must have been a very easy boot to make, three of the other tracks are from the same Peer International library lp.

If anyone knows anything...much appreciated.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/audio_blue_detail_2.jpg

ironheadrat
28-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I have to check it out with my big bro but apparently a lot of tracks on the Morgan Khan / Street Sounds / UK Electro lps were done by an 80s one-hit wonder band in much the same way. Khan played them a load of the tracks he was licensing and got them to churn a dozen or so soundalikes out. Whack a fancy name on and job done.]

That sounds like Masquerade, and other stuff by this bloke

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Paul+Phillips

The early Totally Wired lps also had a few new tracks that pretended to be vintage funk. Then there was the Roadblock hoax in 86.

einekleine
28-08-2012, 10:56 AM
King Ant - Filigree Funk

This sounds like hep boot slang for Anthony King's Filigree Funk from his Peer Library LP by Memo 'Lost Star'.

Anthony King was also Ian Langley who did Chicano Chaser on the other side, for another Peer Library - Reggae For Real I think.

Both tunes subsequently reissued by Jazzman on 7".

Anthony King was Tony King who did Music After Midnight wibbly synth BBC LP and various themetunes as I am sure you know. Started off writing tunes for Status Quo via way of John Schroeder.

Would appreciate it if anyone else has any info on him. Am a bit obsessed by his music.

Ian Townsend
28-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Brilliant! Thanks both.

sourcerer
09-09-2012, 09:10 AM
There's a track called Funky Chimes on a KPM by Francis Coppetiers called Piano Viberations if that's any help? I don't have either lp but it may be worth cross- checking.

Ian Townsend
09-09-2012, 02:08 PM
There's a track called Funky Chimes on a KPM by Francis Coppetiers called Piano Viberations if that's any help? I don't have either lp but it may be worth cross- checking.
Really appreciate that S! I'll see if I can find a sound clips later.

Good work! :cool:

Ian Townsend
11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm feeling the first vibe that these tracks were a case of ye olde 'session musicians encouraged to jam in the studio in the style of' practice, as has been done before.

I have to check it out with my big bro but apparently a lot of tracks on the Morgan Khan / Street Sounds / UK Electro lps were done by an 80s one-hit wonder band in much the same way. Khan played them a load of the tracks he was licensing and got them to churn a dozen or so soundalikes out. Whack a fancy name on and job done.

Out of Streetwave came Street Sounds, and my path would cross with Morgan’s in a major way a few years down the line, in 1984, when I approached him with some demos I’d recorded with a couple of Manchester musicians, Martin Jackson (previously of Magazine) and Andy Connell (then the keyboardist with A Certain Ratio). This would result in the release of the ‘Street Sounds UK Electro’ compilation, with, despite an apparent handful of artists featured, all but one of the tracks having been recorded at our own sessions in Manchester and Oldham.

- Greg Wilson / Article on Morgan Khan

Thanks Cee!