PDA

View Full Version : Roots of 90s Easy Listening > Blow Up > DJ Andy Lewis > Wendy May's Locomotion

Ian Townsend
21-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Paul Tunkin brought Andy Lewis into Blow Up?
Andy Lewis started DJ-ing at Wendy May's Locomotion in Kentish Town.
Googling around brings up this nice memoir of clubbing in 1987 (http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/1987.html) with mention of Wendy May's Locomotion.

No 'easy listening' music mentioned per se, but I like the fact the guy talks about how varied the music was in 1987, listing that all the new electronic Hip Hop beats stuff pre - House like Mantronix, Def Jam label etc was freely mixed with the likes of old soul and funk and African Highlife (Earthworks?) etc. Never dawned on me before but Pigbag's Papa really was just an African Hi- Life track wasn't it? (doh!)

Eclecticism, mixed crowd, mixed sounds..fascinating stuff.

Peter Sundae
21-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Bumped into Andy walking down Watford high street couple of months back, why don't you contact him Ian, maybe he'd give you an interview for the forum.

Ian Townsend
22-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Bumped into Andy walking down Watford high street couple of months back, why don't you contact him Ian, maybe he'd give you an interview for the forum.
Fully intend to J!

Fascinating trail from dj-ing to songwriting to bass playing with Paul Weller's band via acid jazz and easy scenes. I guessed this was the same Andy you spoke about in your interview. I'm working on the roots of the easy scene and I suspect he'll know loads. :)