PDA

View Full Version : Olympics - London 2012

stringer
28-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Well the opening ceremony was a shambles, the cycling a disappointment but did you see the Archery? Italian gold beating the Americans with the last arrow.:cool: Great viewing.

Ian Townsend
28-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Synchronocity bro!

I missed the full event but tuned in just as the Italians and Americans were lining up for the first End in the final. I gathered the Koreans (South?) already had the bronze. It was indeed great viewing.

The Italian guy who nailed it with the last arrow, and having to get a 10, was cool as f*ck.

stringer
29-07-2012, 06:38 AM
I missed the full event but tuned in just as the Italians and Americans were lining up for the first End in the final. I gathered the Koreans (South?) already had the bronze. It was indeed great viewing.
Not great enough for the BBC. Ignored in both Day One round-ups. Criminal. :mad:

Ian Townsend
29-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Womens archery, live from Lords, on right now! Both teams (Russia v Great Britain). ...open with a 10.

Cup a tea, biscuit and glued to the Ends.

Edit: goddam it. Womens team out. Russian team through to quarter final.

treeboy
29-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Sorry to go against the grain, but I thought the opening ceremony was brilliant! Just got back from spending the day in the Olympic Park, stunning! Went up the Orbit, and had a great view of a storm coming across The City. Spent nearly seven hours exploring the Olympic site. Feel like I've been on holiday. It's all good, and an easy target to knock. Having tried on every possible occassion to get tickets for a sporting event, and coming out with zilch, it's the empty seats which are p*****g me off.

Peter Sundae
29-07-2012, 06:15 PM
The women's hockey is on..........and they look like a moving about version of Ian Townsend's avatar, well perhaps a little more modest.

Ian Townsend
29-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Sorry to go against the grain, but I thought the opening ceremony was brilliant! Just got back from spending the day in the Olympic Park, stunning! Went up the Orbit, and had a great view of a storm coming across The City. Spent nearly seven hours exploring the Olympic site. Feel like I've been on holiday. It's all good, and an easy target to knock. Having tried on every possible occassion to get tickets for a sporting event, and coming out with zilch, it's the empty seats which are p*****g me off.
hey Treeboy, I spent Thursday sightseeing in London and ended the day at Stratford hoping to go to the Olympic Park. Had no luck as it wasn't open, but hung round picking up the vibe, went up to the Viewing Gallery in John Lewis, marvelled at their Lego stadium :D . I was wondering if it was worth booking online to see ( I'm dragging American visitors round with me) and given your write up, I'm sorting it for Wednesday.

Amazed also to see the huge warship near Greenwich, bristling with helicopters, guarded by one policeman in a boat. He was carrying a machine gun though. :D

The whole atmosphere everywhere we went in London was great. Just seeing the huge viewing stands set up for the equestrian events at Greenwich. London's a cool place to visit right now. Highly recommended.

treeboy
29-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Have a great day. You need seperate tickets to go up the Orbit, in case you didn't know. Food's a bit pricey (you can take your own in if you wish).
Stratford is buzzing at the moment. Let's hope it continues after the games.
If you are showing some Americans around, how about this, ( I'm doing it on Wednesday).
http://www.sailroyalgreenwich.co.uk/en/news/66-sail-royal-greenwich-explained
It looks like a corporate thing at fist glance, but click on "individuals can come on board" for exactly what it says.

feenix
30-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Synchronocity bro!

Don't you mean the womens synchronised diving? Did you see it? Incredible stuff.
Cosign on the team archery too...gripping.

ironheadrat
30-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Beach volleyball is even better in the rain.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41388_100001735354242_4294_q.jpg

Ian Townsend
30-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Neither in the Olympics sadly....

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/bike_pron.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/it5IUMh5AqXx.gif

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/dawson.jpg

....but Cosmo doesn't mind.

Ian Townsend
31-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Excellent to see how happy the British gymnastic team to have earned a bronze. Didn't see the whole thing live to see their full response about being knocked down from the silver but the BBC highlights certainly showed them as happy and proud to have made the medals. V. Cool.

Also cool was the speechless Lithuanian schoolgirl who got the gold for breaststroke.

Tearful Korean fencer was a proper Olympic moment too! From near gold to 4th.....unravelling all the way...poor kid.

Runswick
31-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Tearful Korean fencer was a proper Olympic moment too! From near gold to 4th.....unravelling all the way...poor kid.
The Mens Fencing this evening has been enthralling. The Final is on right now.

ironheadrat
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Desperate TV here. Blanket coverage of Spanish competitors failing to bring in a single medal so far. Once the Spanish interest is eliminated, apparently nobody cares who actually wins the event so we switch to another plucky loser in a qualifying heat.

sourcerer
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Desperate TV here. Blanket coverage of Spanish competitors failing to bring in a single medal so far. Once the Spanish interest is eliminated, apparently nobody cares who actually wins the event so we switch to another plucky loser in a qualifying heat.
Madness!!!
The best action and drama happens all over the place. The Korean girl fencer as already mentioned was great viewing as was the Egypt vs China fencing final and the bronze as well. The really young Brazilain judo girl who burst into tears getting her Gold was another highlight.

sourcerer
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Not great enough for the BBC. Ignored in both Day One round-ups. Criminal. :mad:
You need a Sky Box Red Button. Everything live constantly. Channel flick heaven.

treeboy
05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Great scenes in the Stadium last night. What's gonna happen when Spots Personality Of The Year comes round? Sticking my head above the parapet, I'm still with Sir Bradley. Not taking anything away from Jessica Ennis- phenomenal!

auxillary_output
13-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Well the opening ceremony was a shambles, the cycling a disappointment but did you see the Archery? Italian gold beating the Americans with the last arrow.:cool: Great viewing.
I missed the closing ceremony last night and all I saw this morning were Spice Girls in Mini Coopers. A pop act from the 1990s in cars that represent the 1960s? Was it all as bad as that? Please tell me there were good bits!

Gingham Kitchen
13-08-2012, 10:13 AM
They were in London cabs. The ceremony was a bit Seaside Special and far too long but it wasn't bad as these things go.

treeboy
13-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I missed the closing ceremony last night and all I saw this morning were Spice Girls in Mini Coopers. A pop act from the 1990s in cars that represent the 1960s? Was it all as bad as that? Please tell me there were good bits!

Heavy on the Beatles, but anything with The Who in it is fine by me. I'm sure Brian May is morphing into Anita Dobson! Nice touch with the badger and fox on his "costume". Noman Cook coming out of a giant octopus which emerged from a psychedelic bus.... thought I was back at one of the Alice In Wonderland mystery trips for a moment :rolleyes: