PDA

View Full Version : Funky Mars & Phat Jazz

left hand corner
18-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Hello ForumMusic.

Reading "The 90s Boot Boom: Part 3" section, I noticed you mentioned the track "Funky Mars" by The Craters featured on "Phat Jazz". You state that the sleevenotes for the boot are very informative. I was hoping this is true for "Funky Mars".

I picked up the original 7" a few years back and would like to know more. It's an unusual funk track. Initially thought it was a new release, it sounded similar to some Desco/Pure tracks that were around at the time. However a bit of research (or googling) led me to believe its a mid-70s track written by one of the Staple Singers, released only in Canada. Would be nice to know if you have more info.

Secondly, are the entire Pure boot series being lined up? You briefly mention them. I would certainly like to know who the graphic artist was. The Crocodile water-skiing whilst having a drink is a design classic.

Ian Townsend
18-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Secondly, are the entire Pure boot series being lined up? You briefly mention them. I would certainly like to know who the graphic artist was. The Crocodile water-skiing whilst having a drink is a design classic.

I actually don't know any more than you do regarding the Craters LHC but there are definitely a few people I could ask.

Regarding the Pure series, my understanding (via Discogs so I'm not revealing anything secret here!) was that Phillipe Lehman and the other guy went their separate ways with Lehman going on to form Soul Fire and Desco.

The Crocodile water-skiing whilst having a drink is from the garishly-designed Soul Patrol series... was that Lehman as well? It would make sense as it bridges the gap between Pure and Soul Fire.

I'll have a check through some material I have at home later.

I'm delighted to say that September will see a Forumusic article pulling together a whole bunch of extra info from various Dexters. (serial compilers) and I think you'll find some interesting stuff to read in it.

left hand corner
18-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Craters will remain a mystery

Got my Soul Patrol and Pures mixed up.

Regards Soul Patrol, which were French, I'm sure I read a story that a dealer/collector played a rare 45 down the phone to the boot compiler, only to find later that the compiler had taped the call and use that sound recording on the actual boot. I think the story was in an early Big Daddy.