PDA

View Full Version : NRR: Happy Birthday Charles Dickens! Favourite Dickens character?

Ian Townsend
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
This is very probably going to be a very lonely chat echoing around a forum that's lonelier than that Scottish Badger one. :D

My all-time favourite Dickens character is Mr Quilp from the Old Curiosity Shop.

Unpleasant to a fault, he lights up a foul-smelling pipe to clear the room when his wife has visitors and pinches the back of her arms to make her squeal. I think he gets his come-uppance at some point but I can't remember if he's the character who spontaneously combusts. (The first time the notion of spontaneous combustion is mentioned in a book I think)

If I knew how to post a picture would. :rolleyes:

Close second is another evil one. Madame Defarge... she quietly knits the names of traitors who need beheading into the scarves she makes.

Jahshabby
07-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Bleak House is my favourite Dickens book, mainly because it lays into the law so beautifully.

So… as far as a character goes, I'd say Lady Dedlock I guess. More specifically, Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock. I rest my case…

Ian Townsend
08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Bleak House is my favourite Dickens book, mainly because it lays into the law so beautifully.

So… as far as a character goes, I'd say Lady Dedlock I guess. More specifically, Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock. I rest my case…

Clearly Barney my dear boy, we and my dear old friend Norman are the only literate posters on here. The only ones who sit in an armchair by the fire with a volume of Dickens and allow his characters to inspire us.

Indeed I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his mother in Guildford. A cat, rain, Vim under the sink, and both bars on.

But old now, there is no true beauty without decay

Col Wolfe
08-02-2012, 07:45 PM
shut up, I know all about Charles Dickens.

I took a course and everything.

The course was nearly 4 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unKuZ2wlNdw

ironheadrat
09-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Mrs Joe Gargery.
Short-tempered, yes; violent, occasionally, but she is married to a halfwit and lumbered with a little brother who steals her groceries to feed filthy convicts. Nevertheless, she runs a tight ship.

Gingham Kitchen
09-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Edwin Drood. I like his mystery.