PDA

View Full Version : Punk Brittania on BBC 4

eruditio
03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Anyone else catch this? I watched it this afternoon and thought it was excellent. Good to see the pub rockers getting due credit and plenty of air time. Made me dig out the Eddie & The Hot Rods EP this afternoon and some Dr Feelgood. Like a breath of fresh air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONqHfZzbsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtwmyVMfOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDJ2PH2tPc

I never knew Dave Robinson was the person who kick started the Pub Rock scene though, I always thought it just evolved of its own accord? :confused: I'm sure many will nit pick about it being a too London-centric overview and certain movers and shakers being missed out but I thought it was a well put together primer.

Ian Townsend
03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it too. I started avidly reading the NME and Melody Maker from 74 through to about 79 and I remember the shift from pub rock to punk really well, though only as an observer.

Some good footage too! Looking forward to part 2.

jackgeech
04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I see Johnny Rotten has timed the release of his new lp for the Jubilee week. He must be running out of butter royalties.

auxillary_output
09-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Has anyone seen Part 2? If not, look forward to counting how many different ways the different artists explain away their utter selling out from Punk ideals.

It's very funny.

Ian Townsend
11-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Got to be honest and say Part 2 dragged a bit in the last third. Of all the old punks Siouxsie Sue appears to have used the best anti-ageing cream. The men just seem to have let themselves go.

I wouldn't recognise Pete Shelley if he walked past me with his dog coming back from getting his morning paper. I still think Part 1 was really, really good.

Carlos
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I still think Part 1 was really, really good.

Yes, I was a bit disappointed with Part 2 too, to be honest. Very grim and not much fun there. Last week I watched the concert with Ian Dury and Dr. Feelgood and the latter just made my day. They played all my favourite songs one after another.

LDJB
17-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Enjoyed part 3 but kept getting distracted by the fire places in the interview parts - it would seem that agitprop diy records = some great heating areas on display in later life.

Ian Townsend
18-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Enjoyed part 3 but kept getting distracted by the fire places in the interview parts - it would seem that agitprop diy records = some great heating areas on display in later life.
:D Paging Peter Sundae to identify / date / value the fireplaces. :D
Got this third part ready to watch but Fathers Day present being a super duper Bosch Hedge Trimmer lead to a sweaty and exciting Sunday afternoon tending the grounds. :rolleyes:
Will definitely watch out for evidence of the agitprop DIY / fireplace theory. :D

Ian Townsend
20-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Yup! Huge fireplaces were bloody everywhere. Eat your heart out Citizen Kane. Slightly ashamed of myself but I was morbidly fascinated by the varying physical states of the different featured artists.

Mother and Father Time have been savage to some and unbelievably kind to others. I thought age seemed to weigh more heavily on those still wearing the clothes they wore in 1980.

Odd too, which tunes have stood the test of time. I was desperate to hear Outdoor Miner when they interviewed Wire, hearing Billy McKenzie got me craving to hear The Associates again.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though. :)

AlanP
26-06-2012, 02:41 AM
I've been home crook so set myself up in bed and watched Punk Britannia before setting full sail and watching Synth Britannia, Heavy Metal Britannia and and noodle heavy Prog Rock Britannia. Just kicked off Festivals Britannia, but had to pause so as to give the boy a bath.

a day well spent I reckon. did feel the punk doco lost it's way at the end, and of them all, the synth yarn probably held up best from a 'really?' POV. felt a bit sorry for the proggers by the end, a wee note of self-pity crept in there.

anyway, good stuff the beeb.

AlanP
26-06-2012, 09:56 PM
actually, one interesting bit of trivial goodness from the 'eavy me'al doco was Lord (I think) from Deep Purple saying the riff for Black Knight came from the baseline of Ricky Nelson's Summertime.

eruditio
28-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been home crook so set myself up in bed and watched Punk Britannia before setting full sail and watching Synth Britannia, Heavy Metal Britannia and and noodle heavy Prog Rock Britannia. Just kicked off Festivals Britannia, but had to pause so as to give the boy a bath.anyway, good stuff the beeb.
Did you see these on DVD or are they available on Netflix? I've seen the Punk and Prog Rock series but would really like to see the Heavy Metal one.

AlanP
29-06-2012, 01:41 AM
they're all on youtube. just started reggae britannia.

jackgeech
29-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I've been home crook
I haven't heard someone refer to illness as crook for a long time. A very close old friend of mine grew up in NZ and would always say he was crook. I never heard the term used by anyone else!

Peter Sundae
29-07-2012, 06:33 PM
:D Paging Peter Sundae to identify / date / value the fireplaces. :D

Mostly Repro/ 1970's/ worthless.

Punk /New wave Brittania was good telly, especially the bloke who collapsed into tears overcome with emotion at the end of a festival gig.

treeboy
29-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Festivals can have that effect, although nowadays I must admit I would probably be in tears at the prospect of going to another festival! Just going to indulge myself with my favourite clip from a festival (oops, feel a new thread coming on!)
This is pure gold in my book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updTFU9IqIg

Check out a young Linda Lewis, hairs on my arms stand up watching this.....