PDA

View Full Version : I listened to a proper album properly......

Ian Townsend
22-05-2012, 08:04 PM
...for the first time in ages. And it was a great feeling.:)

Mark Eric - A Midsummer's Day Dream
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/eric_mark_midsummer_102b.jpg

SieFly sent me the CD reissue of it a few weeks ago (cheers Sie!) which gave me all the incentive I needed after practically a year of listening to comp after comp. It's a great album with a cool Beach Boys - inspired feel throughout, heavy with melancholy for summers past, girls of yesterday, girls growing up and changing (his take on Caroline, No is about a girl called Laura called Laura's Changing).

Killer tracks for me are the very slow, full harmony, wistful ones with full orchestra like Move With The Dawn, Where Do The Girls Of The Summer Go? and Sad Is The Way That I Feel. Couldn't find any of these on YouTube sadly but here is a taster of his sound. Very Wilson-esque... but the lp has an overall flavour that's all its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfojCdi8s7k&feature=related

So refreshing to hear a proper album again. Appetite whetted. Onto the Del Shannon tomorrow......

effi_deep
22-05-2012, 08:30 PM
wonderful record ian!
a great lp from start to finish (well almost).

last proper record i've listened to properly was this beautiful meisterwerk.

JULIE DRISCOLL - 1969

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/sevi_seven/driscoll.jpg

it never fails to amaze me. its a perfect album and i struggle to think of any better arrangements right now.
a true thing of beauty with a very unique sound.

mr sayers
22-05-2012, 10:02 PM
^ Only recently got this, great LP Sevi mate.:cool:

eruditio
23-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Which Julie Driscoll lp is that please? :confused:

effi_deep
23-05-2012, 07:01 AM
«1969» from 1971

Peter Sundae
28-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Big fan of that Julie driscoll LP.

Just finished listening to the whole of Norma Winstone -Edges of time -

From start to finish which is a rarity. Most enjoyable it was too.

Ian Townsend
29-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Courtesy of SieFly's gift I've just got back in to picking up CDs from boot sales again to play in the car. Rarely more than a pound and the going rate round these parrrrts is closer to 50p.

Seems ridiculous not to punt and if dreadful, they're easy to take to a charity shop. So in direct contrast to the mainly positive reviews on the main site here are two bloody awful CDs I got a few weeks ago:

Fat Freddys Drop: nicely packaged cd, no real clue to musical content but it turns out to be deadly dull reggae. It got slower and duller as the cd progressed. Awful.

The Secret Life of....or the Secret of Life....by the Ukele Orchestra of Britain...or something. I was hopeful this would be 'interesting' as in containing a couple of sparky little tracks or maybe a great self-composed one lurking at the end of side two. I bought it because it had them doing versions of MacArthur Park and Miss Dynamite.

Terrible cd. The novelty of a ukulele orchestra wore off 10 seconds. Twee shi* e. They absolutely destroy MacArthur Park too.

Picked up a Killers cd at the weekend called Sawdust. A collection of their B sides and dedicated to their fans. I don't know any Killers songs so maybe this is the wrong place to start. It's going in the car cd player tomorrow. Here's hoping.

Ian Townsend
29-05-2012, 10:43 AM
wonderful record ian!
a great lp from start to finish (well almost).

last proper record i've listened to properly was this beautiful meisterwerk.

it never fails to amaze me. its a perfect album and i struggle to think of any better arrangements right now.
a true thing of beauty with a very unique sound.

Hmmm....Recommended by Effi and Craig and by Julian?
A no-brainer then.
On my Wants list no messin.'

:)

mr sayers
29-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Hmmm....Recommended by Effi and Craig and by Julian?
A no-brainer then.
On my Wants list no messin.'

:)

Nige is a big fan of it too, he was the one who put me onto it.:cool:

I reckon you should treat yourself Ian mate, should be cheap enough, word to the wise you need a clean copy to fully to appreciate it.;)