PDA

View Full Version : Boot Dates: Any help at all appreciated!

Ian Townsend
06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
As you may be aware from reading the boot intro / articles, I came to these late so have no 'back in the day' knowledge of them. Dates on old price stickers are useful but they can only give a rough guide to the earliest possible date they were being traded. Also Discogs dates are not always accurate and they're definitely all over the shop when it comes to the mass of Soul Patrol releases.

Any information at all helping to nail the exact dates of boots would be really appreciated so the forumusic articles (when updated) can be an accurate archive of 90s boots.

Oh. And I'm expecting a shedload of grief for documenting these illegal records....:rolleyes:

mr sayers
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Ive got two waiting for you when you come to Byker groove Ian mate -

'Mind bending nuggets - The last piece' and 'Nuggets of funk'

I'm really enjoying the article on them BTW as I grew up on them, and probably wouldn't be on this forum if hadn't bought them.:cool:

moogaloo
07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
"Kaleidoscopic Vibrations", "Melting Pot" Vol 1 and 2 and "Essential Funk/jazz" where done by a guy called Pete Reilly who now does stuff for Soul Jazz records, Don't know if that helps?

Campag Record
07-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I wish I had some dates to give you Ian. I started on the UBB's and funk comps in the early 90's but only returned to buying booty comps in 99/00 so I was a little late to the party. Some I had to backorder and some later volumes (Beyond The Valley, etc) were just being released around that period. Loved the article anyway and looking forward to part 2.

mr sayers
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I wish I had some dates to give you Ian. I started on the UBB's and funk comps in the early 90's but only returned to buying booty comps in 99/00 so I was a little late to the party. Some I had to backorder and some later volumes (Beyond The Valley, etc) were just being released around that period. Loved the article anyway and looking forward to part 2.

What he said.

I had loads of them, got a lot of them from London in the late 90's, got a few of them form Intoxica/Mr Bongo's. It's a shame I got rid of the lot earlier this year as some of them still had a price sticker on them.:o

Ian Townsend
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Ive got two waiting for you when you come to Byker groove Ian mate -

'Mind bending nuggets - The last piece' and 'Nuggets of funk'

I'm really enjoying the article on them BTW as I grew up on them, and probably wouldn't be on this forum if hadn't bought them.:cool:

Really appreciate your generosity C but I have them both!....( and this embarassed avatar is rubbish!:o) )
I feel awful rejecting them but I'm really glad you're liking the articles. There's good reason why Part 3 is called The Gentle Reign of Nuggets; it starts with the grey and yellow one with the cash register on the front which is Nuggets Of Funk no? The other earlier Nuggets of Funk! Crispy Nuggets is in 1994 (already on site)

"Kaleidoscopic Vibrations", "Melting Pot" Vol 1 and 2 and "Essential Funk/jazz" where done by a guy called Pete Reilly who now does stuff for Soul Jazz records, Don't know if that helps?

Yes it does. Melting Pot 1 took a while to turn up and I had NO idea there was a Melting Pot 2. On the hunt now though. Neither did I know Pete reilly was involved in that one but I have a few of his Essential Jazz (RMM) ones. Cheers C.

Can you see Part 2: 1994: The Year Of Funky Soundtracks Nige? You might have to click around on the nav bar or clear the cache by navigating to the site from Google. I completely missed the boot party and was genuinely surprised to find so little info about them on the net; so rolling up sleeves to cover them was a definite and has turned me onto loads of great stuff. Jazz and Funk boot set for Byker Groove? Will I be shot? :rolleyes:

mr sayers
08-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Really appreciate your generosity C but I have them both!....( and this embarassed avatar is rubbish!:o) )
I feel awful rejecting them but I'm really glad you're liking the articles. There's good reason why Part 3 is called The Gentle Reign of Nuggets; it starts with the grey and yellow one with the cash register on the front which is Nuggets Of Funk no? The other earlier Nuggets of Funk! Crispy Nuggets is in 1994 (already on site)

No problem Ian mate, you not rock doubles of them like!?:confused:;):cool:

LDJB
08-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Ian the latest installment of the excellent boot article reminded me that I have have all three of 'the chase scene' boots.....on cd!!! Yes actual CDs which I purchased in a sale at Avalanche a number of years ago - are there many examples of these boots getting a cd release too? I'll bring these along to Byker for you by the way - free and gratis - I really don't need them.

llmod1
08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Ian, I used to have literally hundreds of these. There used to be a guy at Camden who had a stall in the market that I was good friends with. Every Friday I would call him to find out what he had for the weekend. He would then put copies aside for me to collect that weekend. Over the last couple of years I have cleared out a lot of them as I managed to secure original copies of my favourite tracks from the comps.

Just checked through the boots I still have and three have stickers from Rhythm Records in Camden giving the exact date they were put out:

Jazz a la Carte - 10/3/94

Plus Rare Que Rare - 1/9/94

The Audio Blue Collection - 29/4/99

I still have a boot called Jazz Jump that my mate from the market surprised me with one week telling me that it was the first jazz bootleg that was put out. Not sure if the info is accurate as I only have his word for it. He did tell me though that he was the man behind it.

You can take a photo of it when you come round to interview me to add to your collectors series!!! I want a thread named after me!!!:D

Ian Townsend
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Ian the latest installment of the excellent boot article reminded me that I have have all three of 'the chase scene' boots.....on cd!!! Yes actual CDs which I purchased in a sale at Avalanche a number of years ago - are there many examples of these boots getting a cd release too? I'll bring these along to Byker for you by the way - free and gratis - I really don't need them.

Dear Readers.
If you have never been flooded with kind offers of free records and cds before I'd highly recommend you start a forum. :D :p:D

Lee that would be brilliant. I still feel i owe you for doing me such a good deal on that boot package back in the autumn but hell, let's have a pint and argue man-to-man at Byker.:) I shall put my camera down and chat more this year. Limit the snapping to short bursts.

Just checked through the boots I still have and three have stickers from Rhythm Records in Camden giving the exact date they were put out:

Jazz a la Carte - 10/3/94

Plus Rare Que Rare - 1/9/94

The Audio Blue Collection - 29/4/99

I still have a boot called Jazz Jump that my mate from the market surprised me with one week telling me that it was the first jazz bootleg that was put out. Not sure if the info is accurate as I only have his word for it. He did tell me though that he was the man behind it.

You can take a photo of it when you come round to interview me to add to your collectors series!!! I want a thread named after me!!!:D

That's Bingo! on the first two then. (Jazz A La Carte and Plus Rare) OK, I may not have been exactly on target, they might have been early 94 rather than 93, but those dates at least give some guide as to when they were about.

I've got The Audio Blue Collection nailed at 1996. Bottom of sleeve says: C&P Rosbif Enterprises 1996. Produx. Made In The EEC etc...
I'm reviewing that because it's an interesting one in terms of re-booting / re-cycling from other boots.

Now what could I interview you about? Know anything about Orchestral Funk From Around The World? :D :D:D Let's do it later this year for sure. :cool:

Ian Townsend
08-02-2012, 07:18 PM
LHC? Respect your decision to remove the post but I that's exactly the kind of minor detail / context that turns an average boot into an interesting one.

Respectfully PM'd Sir....

left hand corner
09-02-2012, 11:40 AM
I have PM'd you back.

Ian Townsend
09-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I have PM'd you back.
Thanks for that D.:) I'll be using and including some of that information later in the series.

Ian Townsend
06-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks C. Kaleidoscopic Vibrations was also mentioned to me by Pitch and I just managed to nab one that popped up on Discogs.

Great tracklisting, absolutely 'of it's day' and 500 only apparently. I have to say that having discoursed now with several busy Dexters I would suspect that number would be accurate.

The compilers would get a bulk of covers printed because getting a large number was relatively cheap (1000). The'y then pay for records to be pressed 300 at a time because pressing vinyl was far more expensive. Everything had to be cash of course (no paper trail). They'd only repress more vinyl (with covers already there) if demand was high.

Many of the non-'glossy' series ones didn't sell that well. They couldn't advertise them and could only sell them in certain places. It kept everything very limited and the types of people who bought them were the same people who now frequent digging message boards!

I may be wrong, but I think it's very rare for boots to turn up at car boot sales.

pH!
07-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a few I brought from Gerald Jazz Man on Camden Market over a few years around 20 years ago ?

Jazz dance boots I can't remember the titles one has Tiger in the title and it was the first time I'd heard Edgar Broughton 'There's No Vibrations'

I will try and dig them out

Ian Townsend
07-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Jazz dance boots I can't remember the titles one has Tiger in the title and it was the first time I'd heard Edgar Broughton 'There's No Vibrations'

Hi pH! A review of Tiger Grooves (seen here on the Boot Intro page (http://www.forumusic.co.uk/l_b_b_intro.html)) is coming your way in Part 3: The Gentle Reign of Nuggets which will be included in the next update of the main site in April.

It's really weird how it pans out that site updates always happen around school holidays...... :rolleyes:

SieFly
10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
melting pot 2 knocking around Ian if you still need it

Ian Townsend
11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
melting pot 2 knocking around Ian if you still need it
Yes please Sie. :) I've been waiting on a Discogs one for a while but nothing has shown up.
Pm'd!

Bodger
20-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Any information at all helping to nail the exact dates of boots would be really appreciated so the forumusic articles (when updated) can be an accurate archive of 90s boots.

Hallo Ian,
Late as always to the party :confused: but I may be able to help - I kept a record of all purchases at the time in diaries so I'll dig them out and check for details. It was a good way of sourcing quality tracks for relatively little outlay (as you've noted) so I have a few boxed up somewhere. Were you going to cover tapes at some point? I think these were the precurser to the vinyl boots but I don't have any as they were a little before my collecting bug kicked in. I think these were big from the mid / late 80's to mid 90's and Camden market was a good source....
Bodge

Ian Townsend
21-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Hallo Ian,
Late as always to the party :confused: but I may be able to help - I kept a record of all purchases at the time in diaries so I'll dig them out and check for details. It was a good way of sourcing quality tracks for relatively little outlay (as you've noted) so I have a few boxed up somewhere. Were you going to cover tapes at some point? I think these were the precurser to the vinyl boots but I don't have any as they were a little before my collecting bug kicked in. I think these were big from the mid / late 80's to mid 90's and Camden market was a good source....
Bodge
Hi James!

You just made my day. :) That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. As a result of the articles / this forum a lot of people actually involved in the boots have got in touch. Most of them are a little vague about dates but I have got some and cross-referencing with dated Wants Lists or Diaries(!) will no doubt nail some more.

If you could just dig out the diary / diaries and we could hook up? I'm in MK again in a few weekends time...

Thanks for this, and thanks to everyone else who's helping out...really appreciate it. :)