PDA

View Full Version : Full-blown psychedelic rock album is a masterpiece....

eruditio
06-05-2012, 09:13 PM
...says Stuart Maconie of Richard Hawley's latest lp in The Word magazine. Not sun drenched Californian psychedelia, but the wintry, dark northern kind - the Vikings on mushroom and grain alcohol kind.....

Maconie is effusive in his praise and even name checks Amon Duul.

Just a heads-up.:)

Hear it streamed here. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/29/richard-hawley-exclusive-album-stream)

SieFly
07-05-2012, 04:15 PM
i don't see how it can be - but i am prepared to listen !!

Ian Townsend
07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
i don't see how it can be - but i am prepared to listen !!
Maconie is very much an unashamed Hawley Fan boy but casting around the net there have been plenty of other excellent reviews for it.

I think I'll make the effort for this one. Get it on CD and have it on repeat in the car... see if it entrances / sticks works as a whole.

It's been an eternity since I listened to a whole lp from start to finish...:o

SieFly
08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
It's been an eternity since I listened to a whole lp from start to finish...:o

watch your mail box -this maybe about to change soon i reckon

ceemillar
13-05-2012, 05:39 PM
...says Stuart Maconie of Richard Hawley's latest lp in The Word magazine. Not sun drenched Californian psychedelia, but the wintry, dark northern kind - the Vikings on mushroom and grain alcohol kind.....

Maconie is effusive in his praise and even name checks Amon Duul.

Just a heads-up.:)

Hear it streamed here. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/29/richard-hawley-exclusive-album-stream)
Thanks for the link Drew but I tried this last night when i was feeling quite mellow but couldn't stomach much of it at all and found it veryu heavy going. My review of it would use the word dreary alot and maybe even go so far as to label it psychodrearia. Like in that six ton armour interview i suppose everyone has thier own definition of pysch and this one definitely doesn't fit mine.

Ian Townsend
15-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Can only agree Cee. It doesn't connect with me on any level at all. :(

Ian Townsend
15-05-2012, 08:49 PM
watch your mail box -this maybe about to change soon i reckon
You beauty! :D

SieFly
15-05-2012, 08:50 PM
turgid - i like his other stuff though....there was no need for him to alter direction

Ian Townsend
15-05-2012, 09:01 PM
turgid
Perfect.

Add it to Cee's 'dreary' and the lp is reviewed in two words.
My brother was banging on about how good his last cd was, I actually want to check it out now, bizarrely!

(Straight after Del Shannon and Mark Eric though........;))

eruditio
22-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Having given it a listen now I can only concur with the above. It's irretrievably contrived. :(

effi_deep
22-05-2012, 07:23 PM
now, there are some of the most ugly guitar sounds i've ever heard!