PDA

View Full Version : Soulstrut top 100 records thread

Pages : [1] 2

ceemillar
23-03-2012, 11:13 PM
i havent been on soulstrut for along time but saw on waxidermy that soulstrut have voted for their top 100 records and I've been reading through the threads on them all night. Just the ones from 90 to 100 in the list so far but some great ones and ones i dont have. :(

100. Jr & His Soulettes – Psychodelic Sounds
99. Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
98. Donny Hathaway S/T
97. Bernard Wright – ‘Nard
96. Tom Scott – Honeysuckle Breeze
95. People Under The Stairs – Question In The Form Of An Answer
94. Harlem River Drive
93. Black Moon – Enta Da Stage
92. Marvin Gaye – Here, My Dear
91. Muddy Waters – Electric Mud
90. Les McCann - Layers
89. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
88. Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
87. ESG S/T
86. Can - Tago Mago

Read the mad story about psychodelic sounds being found and the guy with the puppet years ago but had forgotten all about it. if your not interested in anything else at least read Raj long post (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73169/)three posts in. :)

auxillary_output
24-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Read the mad story about psychodelic sounds being found and the guy with the puppet years ago but had forgotten all about it. if your not interested in anything else at least read Raj long post (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73169/)three posts in. :)
That's a rare example of a story you really couldn't make up! Thanks for the link.

If Here, My Dear is that low in the Soulstrut chart I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Ian Townsend
24-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Cool. How fast are they posting these up?:confused:

There was a Waxidermy thread a few weeks ago bemoaning the quality of threads on Soulstrut.
A bit premature to predict the demise of a site that's still so active I thought. This will get me checking back over there anyway.
Good on 'em.:cool:

ceemillar
24-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Cool. How fast are they posting these up?:confused:

There was a Waxidermy thread a few weeks ago bemoaning the quality of threads on Soulstrut.
A bit premature to predict the demise of a site that's still so active I thought. This will get me checking back over there anyway.
Good on 'em.:cool:

Been on soul strut all evening and it seems the waxidermy thread started talk about soul strut closing followed by a pile on and the top 100 idea came out of that. Great 15 pager threadtthread (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73153/)

auxillary_output
25-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Been on soul strut all evening and it seems the waxidermy thread started talk about soul strut closing followed by a pile on and the top 100 idea came out of that. Great 15 pager threadtthread (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73153/)
Interesting. Soulstrut comes back to life in one 15 page thread! Mad.

Raj is no idiot and his early comment about having to close Strut has rallied peeps I'd forgotten existed. No one seems to have made the link yet between posters getting older, married and having kids and the comment about there being 45 minutes sometimes between posts. I can't remember exactly how I spent my time pre-kids but I know I must have had a lot of it on my hands

I agree with the comments about their new site though. Too damned complicated. Who are you over there Cee? I think we may have flamed each other? ;)

Ian Townsend
25-03-2012, 07:10 PM
That's an extraordinary thread.

As auxillary said (and I'll say a slightly different way), it seems to follow an arc from doom and gloom about potential closure to a surge of 'NOOOOOOOO!' and 'We can fight this!' tawlk. Like the Brady Bunch getting together to raise $20,000 to save their house.

There's a lot of posters over there predicting the end of the phenomenon of music message boards with blood and blame delivered dripping to the door of Facebook, Twitter and the changed Soulstrut format. All b*llocks I think.

And so what if a forum has very few members and replies only happen slowly? (;))

Regardless of how it all pans out, I'm desperate to see the final 89 of the Soulstrut Top 100. I think a lot of other people will too. It's what Soulstrut does after that which will determine the future for them.

Thanks for posting that link. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favourite quote from the Soulstrut thread
the irony being that weird records that suck would never have progressed from sperm to tadpole without soulstrut in the first place.

It reminds me of one of Waxidermy's first tweets:
Tell us what your favourite song is and we'll recommend an inferior version by someone you've never heard of

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I *heart* Waxidermy and will be setting my alarm for midnight April 1st 2012 for the Swap sign up.

auxillary_output
26-03-2012, 06:05 PM
It reminds me of one of Waxidermy's first tweets:
Tell us what your favourite song is and we'll recommend an inferior version by someone you've never heard of

:D

I know there are not many people on here right now but do you think we could predict some of the lps which will be in the next 89? Raj is certain to string out posting them up over a long time so we'll have ages to try. I'll just steal a few of the easier ones to predict.

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Lovelites S/T
Nas - Illmatic
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

'Poast more or you're soft' as they say....

Ian Townsend
26-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Oooh blimey. Completely out of my comfort zone as I was never really on Soulstrut. Did the odd lurk when things were 'interesting' like the Frank vs. BBE thing but that was only because it came up on Waxi. I'll hazard these will be there somewhere. (Taking easy ones I think?)

Arthur Verocai S/T
Donny Hathaway - Live
Lamont Dozier - Peddling Music On The Side
Leon Thomas - Blues and the Soulful Truth
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

mr sayers
26-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd be very surprised if these two don't get a mention -

Stark reality
36 Chambers

Ian Townsend
26-03-2012, 08:38 PM
I'd be very surprised if these two don't get a mention -

Stark reality
36 Chambers
Stark Reality I know..... 36 Chambers is a new one on me. Is it Hip Hop?:confused: (scurries off to Google:o)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Utter Hip Hop dummy / noob / saddo is revealed: I only know the Wu Tang Clan from the Shaolin Soul comp. :o

LDJB
26-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Stark Reality I know..... 36 Chambers is a new one on me. Is it Hip Hop?:confused: (scurries off to Google:o)

Wu Tang Clan Ian. Their first and best.

Ian Townsend
26-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Wu Tang Clan Ian. Their first and best.
Shameful of me I know Lee. It just shows how little I know of Hip Hop. The first Hip Hop mixes I really, genuinely enjoyed came via the VG+ Swap CDs. An old poster who called himself The United States Of Audio made a brilliant comp (to my ears).. and it readied me for a couple of excellent ones from Benjamin Hatton. Did a great interview with Benjamin last year and will hopefully be hooking up with him in the summer to do a Tom Biggs-style interview based around UK Hip Hop.

Fingers crossed!

ceemillar
26-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Edit: Utter Hip Hop dummy / noob / saddo is revealed: I only know the Wu Tang Clan from the Shaolin Soul comp. :o
If this was soulstrut Ian you'd have been chased off the board and waved away while they were still chewing on your legs but I always hear the funk 45 board is worse. Good job you work here :D

mr sayers
27-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Don't worry your not missing to much Ian mate!

I think it's one of the most over rated LP's of all time. A LP that's full of rubbish skits that weren't even funny the first time you listened to it, unimaginative beats, basically the RZA looping 'synthetic substitution' for the best part of a whole LP. It also features two of the worst MC's of all time, Old Dirty Bastard, and Method Man. To get round the fact that the MC's are rubbish they pad the LP out with about a dozen of them. The only LP I can think of that is worse is Onyx! Then there's the whole cheesy Kung Fu thing, the beginning of the end for decent Hip Hop if you ask me!

A few more that will be on the list -

J Dilla - Donuts
DJ Shadow - Entroducing
Demon Fuzz - Afrika

mr sayers
27-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Did a great interview with Benjamin last year and will hopefully be hooking up with him in the summer to do a Tom Biggs-style interview based around UK Hip Hop.

Fingers crossed!

I look forward to this one.:)

almanac
27-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds

ceemillar
28-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Im waiting to see how many artists from the 00s will show up on the list and if they will leave off certin Lps because they were massively successful? They really should have Outkast - Speakerboxx / The love below but will they leave it off for that reason?

mr sayers
28-03-2012, 11:25 AM
There will be a David Axelrod LP on there for sure!;)

ceemillar
28-03-2012, 05:08 PM
There will be a David Axelrod LP on there for sure!;)

I agree and I wonder how many more wall of 95 crate digger type faves will end up on the list. quite a few I think. Songs Of Innocence will be the axelrod one probably. Another obvious one wilk be James Mason Rhythm of life

mr sayers
28-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree and I wonder how many more wall of 95 crate digger type faves will end up on the list. quite a few I think. Songs Of Innocence will be the axelrod one probably. Another obvious one wilk be James Mason Rhythm of life

I think there'll be a few 95 wall of fame type records on there......I'll hazard a guess 'Roy Ayers - He's coming' will make the list.

Ian Townsend
28-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Dorothy Ashby - Rubyiat or whatever it's called?

I've never heard it in it's entirety mind (more shame for me :o) so I have no idea if it's a consistently good lp or a one/two tracker. Just throwing it in the ring because whenever anyone says Wall of 95 / Axelrod her name springs to mind.

mr sayers
28-03-2012, 06:44 PM

I've never heard it in it's entirety mind (more shame for me :o) so I have no idea if it's a consistently good lp or a one/two tracker. Just throwing it in the ring because whenever anyone says Wall of 95 / Axelrod her name springs to mind.

'The Rubaiyat Of ' is pretty solid Ian mate, I'm sure it will make the list.

effi_deep
31-03-2012, 12:57 PM
hmmm, surely there will be some roy ayers in there...

"he's coming" probably. and maybe "ramp" as well?
and certainly "24 carat black"...

mr sayers
01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
and maybe "ramp" as well?

Good call, I would be surprised if both of these weren't on there. 'Helle's bells' stands a good chance of being on there!:cool:

Visions of Tomato Egg & Lettuce
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

As discussed Ian, I heart this LP, both for sentimental digging reason but moreover because it is hard!! and unlike anything else I'd heard at the time making an apperance on the FK comp.

Ian Townsend
01-04-2012, 10:47 PM
hmmm, surely there will be some roy ayers in there...

"he's coming" probably. and maybe "ramp" as well?
I'm guilty once again of not having heard any of these lps in their entirety. I think I'm part of the New Wave of Internet Music types who knows and can name the best three tracks from an artists entire career but skipped the stage of listening to lps individually. :o

....and I've only heard 24 Carat Black because I heard a track of theirs on a boot!

Ian Townsend
01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
As discussed Ian, I heart this LP, both for sentimental digging reason but moreover because it is hard!! and unlike anything else I'd heard at the time making an apperance on the FK comp.
And in strange synchronicity Boney TWO other lps you specifically talked about have just appeared in the Soulstrut chart. #89 is Jimi Hendrix -Electric Ladyland and #88 is Leroy Hutson S/t first

We maybe need to sort out a prize for the poster who can list the most lps that eventually make the chart.

mr sayers
02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm guilty once again of not having heard any of these lps in their entirety. I think I'm part of the New Wave of Internet Music types who knows and can name the best three tracks from an artists entire career but skipped the stage of listening to lps individually. :o

....and I've only heard 24 Carat Black because I heard a track of theirs on a boot!

RAMP is a Roy Ayers related project best known for their cover of 'Everybody loves the sunshine'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7wjBwjsVDo

effi_deep
02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
what european records (if any) will be in there?

kraftwerk?
placebo?
cortex?
or even a library one?

mr sayers
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM

placebo?

I reckon 'Ball of eyes' will be on there.:cool:

02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I would want BDP Criminal Minded to feature on such a list. That is a good record with mass appeal x

Ian Townsend
02-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I goddamn wish I'd have photographed every page of your '96 Wants book now Boney. I could've cribbed quite a few that will be on their list. ;)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/boney_wants3.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/boney_wants1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/boney_wants2.jpg

02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
;)
Got
Got
Got
Not Got
Had, let go
Got
Got
Still want

repeat to fade...........

x

02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Perhaps Roots by Nucleus?
Melody Nelson for defo
Odyssey - Mowest
La Clave - Verve
Hanged Man - lan Tew

SieFly
02-04-2012, 08:30 PM
;)
Got
Got
Got
Not Got
Had, let go
Got
Got
Still want

x

great stuff Mark

mr sayers
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Who's want's lists are those like Ian mate?:confused:

Roots and Melody Nelson will defo be on the list!:cool:

mr sayers
03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
;)
Got
Got
Got
Not Got
Had, let go
Got
Got
Still want

x

I only have 5 of them!!!!!:D

Col Wolfe
03-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I only have 5 of them!!!!!:D

I haven't any! :eek:

effi_deep
03-04-2012, 10:02 AM
was thinking about some nucleus/carr stuff...but not sure it will make the list. thought it wasn't well-known enough..."roots" because of its "dope beats for producers"?
pretty sure melody nelson will make though.

Ian Townsend
03-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Who's want's lists are those like Ian mate?:confused:

Roots and Melody Nelson will defo be on the list!:cool:
Boney V excavated the lists from his garage. Spent Saturday with him and Sunday with Sie Fly...swimming in great music talk and tunes.... couldn't have had a better start to the Easter holidays. :). Pics and articles will be along asap and yes, I made it into the legendary Boney lock-up.

Graham Collier lps, rare folk and Eastern European gems just pulled randomly from box after box...unbelievable goodness all over the place. Superb to see. :cool:

mr sayers
03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
thought it wasn't well-known enough..."roots" because of its "dope beats for producers"?

Exactly that, it was comped on the 'Dusty Fingers' series.

mr sayers
03-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks Ian mate, sounds like a good time was had by all!

You were ahead of the curve with a lot of them wants Mark mate.:cool:

almanac
04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Arche Whitewater / Terry Callier / Fifty Foot Hose / Dee Dee Bridgewater / Richie Havens / Art Blakey / Sahib Shihab / Herbie Hancock / Cal Tjader / Ramsey Lewis / Harold Land / Nathan Davis....

You know the ones. They'll all be there.

ceemillar
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
The ones listed as '10' by Reynaldo's Ratings (http://waxidermy.com/features/reynaldo/) on Waxidermy are highly likely to feature.

eruditio
06-04-2012, 09:27 AM

kraftwerk?
placebo?
cortex?
or even a library one?
Kraftwerk and Placebo for sure. Reynaldos Ratings (http://waxidermy.com/features/reynaldo/)will provide a lot of clues. The Soulstrut list already contains one he rated as an 8, and there's a lot more on his list rated as 9 and 10.

eruditio
06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
The ones listed as '10' by Reynaldo's Ratings (http://waxidermy.com/features/reynaldo/) on Waxidermy are highly likely to feature.

;) SNAP!!! That'll teach me to read half a thread. :rolleyes:

Benjamin Hatton
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Did a great interview with Benjamin last year and will hopefully be hooking up with him in the summer to do a Tom Biggs-style interview based around UK Hip Hop.

Fingers crossed!

Let's do it!:)

Benjamin Hatton
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/boney_wants3.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/boney_wants1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/Pattrick_104_2007/boney_wants2.jpg

Wow...cool!!

ceemillar
13-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Raj just added another two to the list neither of which I have, ESG S/T and Can - Tago Mago. Ive heard so much about Can over the years but have never got round to listening to any of their stuuf. Might be about the time to start. I'm seriously thinking of collecting all these just to learn some more and find some good new old stuff.

98. Donny Hathaway S/T
94. Harlem River Drive
90. Les McCann - Layers
87. ESG S/T
86. Can - Tago Mago

Read the threads here:Soulstrut Top 100 Thread (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/14/)

feenix
13-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Nice website you have here guys and this thread is much appreciated. :cool: Keep up the good work!
Will pm you as updates occur.
Thanks.

auxillary_output
14-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Who let the stoners in? :mad::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZbAFmnRVA

mr sayers
14-04-2012, 06:39 PM
'Tago Mago' is great but I think 'Ege Bamyasi' has the edge for me.:cool:

ceemillar
17-04-2012, 11:34 AM
85. Bohannon - Stop and Go

i have to admit a reissue of this has been in my racks for years and Ive never listened to it properly. :o

effi_deep
17-04-2012, 11:47 AM
bohannon never really grabbed me to be honest.
but then i'm not really a funk man.

mr sayers
18-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I love the Bohannon, you need a clean copy to fully appreciate it. 'Save their souls' is killer!!!!!;)

feenix
21-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Soulstrut 100 #84 (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73565/) - William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got
Soulstrut 100 #83 (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73580/) - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According To Zeus

mr sayers
21-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Soulstrut 100 #84 (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73565/) - William DeVaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got
Soulstrut 100 #83 (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73580/) - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According To Zeus

Both hard filed, really like the Power of Zeus, big fan of the Rare Earth label on a whole, shame some dudes have it filed just for the break I could understand if you producer!

auxillary_output
22-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Both hard filed, really like the Power of Zeus, big fan of the Rare Earth label on a whole, shame some dudes have it filed just for the break I could understand if you producer!
Amen to that. Solid LP.:cool:

d-cee
23-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Don't worry your not missing to much Ian mate!

I think it's one of the most over rated LP's of all time. A LP that's full of rubbish skits that weren't even funny the first time you listened to it, unimaginative beats, basically the RZA looping 'synthetic substitution' for the best part of a whole LP. It also features two of the worst MC's of all time, Old Dirty Bastard, and Method Man. To get round the fact that the MC's are rubbish they pad the LP out with about a dozen of them. The only LP I can think of that is worse is Onyx! Then there's the whole cheesy Kung Fu thing, the beginning of the end for decent Hip Hop if you ask me!

Not a fan, then, Craig??... :D

mr sayers
23-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Not a fan, then, Craig??... :D

Nah not really!!! What about you Davie mate?

auxillary_output
26-04-2012, 01:13 PM
82. Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
81. The J.B's - Doing It To Death

eruditio
26-04-2012, 06:25 PM
If I've read this thread through correctly it's up to number 81 and no-one has pre-guessed any of them yet.

Ian Townsend
28-04-2012, 08:53 AM
If I've read this thread through correctly it's up to number 81 and no-one has pre-guessed any of them yet.
Don't jump the gun there Drew...how can Stark Reality, Melody Nelson, Dorothy Ashby not be in there somewhere? Peeps here have guessed the Top Ten. ;)

98. Donny Hathaway S/T
94. Harlem River Drive
90. Les McCann - Layers
87. ESG S/T
86. Can - Tago Mago
84. William De Vaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got
83. Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus

feenix
28-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Y'all hatin' on #80 - Parliament - Osmium (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73637/)? ;)

Ian Townsend
05-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Y'Slacking Feenix! :p. It's moving on! And I'm ashamed to say I don't know number 79 at all.:o

79. McNeal & Niles -Thrust
78. Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik

The Soul Strut canon representing crate digging on the Internet from 1999 to 2012 is gradually being set in stone, and how will it be soundbite / wiki summarized in 50 years time?

At the turn of the century, pre-Facebook, a music forum called Soulstrut was a tight gathering of 30-something crate diggers who evangelized all things funky focussing on funk, disco, jazz, fusion and rock from the 60s and 70s.

Will the crate digging canon from 2005 to 2015 be set by Waxidermy?

stringer
05-05-2012, 03:38 PM
At the turn of the century, pre-Facebook, a music forum called Soulstrut was a tight gathering of 30-something crate diggers who evangelized all things funky focussing on funk, disco, jazz, fusion and rock from the 60s and 70s.

No latin on Soulstrut then?

No soul either?

There's quite a big clue in the forum title.

Soulstrut.

:D

:p

stringer
05-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Will the crate digging canon from 2005 to 2015 be set by Waxidermy?
For crate diggers over 40 who live with their mum and never go out.
Yes.

Every other crate digger.
No

Ian Townsend
07-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Stringer! Take ya bi-yatchin' to the Comatorium (http://forum.thecomatorium.com/forum/index.php?showforum=4).

ceemillar
10-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Were sleeping. Two updates to the SS 100 are Earth, Wind and Fire first lp at 77 and Dr Dre - The Chronic at 76.:)

mr sayers
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Were sleeping. Two updates to the SS 100 are Earth, Wind and Fire first lp at 77 and Dr Dre - The Chronic at 76.:)

Got the first two Earth Wind and Fire LP's hard filled.:cool:

Hate the 'Chronic' has to be said, don't like any Dre solo stuff, in fact not even a fan of NWA if I'm honest!:o

Rabid Axelmod
10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes.

No

Stringer! Take ya bi-yatchin' to the Comatorium (http://forum.thecomatorium.com/forum/index.php?showforum=4).

He is right to be fair.

Ian Townsend
10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I am over 40.
I don't live with my mum.
I do go out.

You bin owned.:cool:

(Or pwned as the teenagers these days say, rather mysteriously.....)

98. Donny Hathaway S/T
94. Harlem River Drive
90. Les McCann - Layers
87. ESG S/T
86. Can - Tago Mago
84. William De Vaughn - Be Thankful For What You've Got
83. Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
80. Parliament - Osmium
79. McNeal & Niles -Thrust
78. Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
77. Earth,Wind & Fire - 1st
76. Dr Dre - The Chronic

Cheers Cee.

Campag Record
11-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Hate the 'Chronic' has to be said, don't like any Dre solo stuff, in fact not even a fan of NWA if I'm honest!:o

Do you like ANY hip hop dude! :D

De La Soul 3ft High will surely be included. I know the hip hop on there tends to concentrate more around 93 and later but surely some pre 1990 stuff will make the cut. Or will the poll prove most Strutters discovered hip hop via Cypress Hill and the Pharcyde??

If Leo Sayer isn't top 5 then I'll be disappointed!

Rabid Axelmod
11-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I am over 40.
I don't live with my mum.
I do go out.

You bin owned.:cool:

Not really. You just fall into the second category

Yes.

No

mr sayers
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Do you like ANY hip hop dude! :D

Is Dr Dre still Hip Hop like Nige mate, just sounds like 'Edgy' bland pop music to me?!:confused:;)

ceemillar
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Cheers Cee.
No problem Ian are you ready for the surprise that is number 75?

75- Black Sabbath 1st LP from 1970.

I'll keep updating seeing as feenix appears to have unrisen. :D

mr sayers
12-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I was surprised by Black Sabbath, great LP though!:cool:

feenix
17-05-2012, 03:22 AM
And the list goes on. Y'all hatin' on Numero 74 now?

#74 - Trapdoor - International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73786/)

mr sayers
17-05-2012, 07:21 PM
And the list goes on. Y'all hatin' on Numero 74 now?

#74 - Trapdoor - International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73786/)

Great mix, I was blown away by it when it came out.:cool:

Ian Townsend
17-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I haven't played this yet but thoroughly looking forward to it now! If it's anything like Andy Votel's Music To Watch Girls Cry or Songs In The Key Of Death I'm going to be delighted.:)

I was reading about how Groove Merchant Cool Chris Veltri promoted this. Oh to have one of the 75 that came in a handmade sleeve. I bet they fetch a bit now though I doubt anyone is selling them.

feenix
21-05-2012, 04:04 AM
#73 -Bob James - One (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73797/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP1_1DpeBE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MAUAAnLTA_Y

mr sayers
21-05-2012, 11:14 AM
#73 -Bob James - One (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73797/)

It's all about 'Nautilus', blew me away first time I heard it!:cool:

Ian Townsend
23-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Now it gets interesting.

Here is yet another fellow who has been plucked from obscurity and enjoyed a career revival thanks to the discerning taste and archaeological drive of some crate diggers and hip hop producers. In the 1970s, Cassell was a struggling Bay area musician/songwriter who subscribed to a then rare DIY approach. He self financed a couple records of soulful jazzy pop a la Steely Dan that faded away into obscurity later to be rediscovered by vinyl crate diggers looking for interesting music that never made it on to major labels.

Pieces has become one of the most sought after rare vinyl records of the past couple records thanks to a featured spot on Kon and Amir’s Kings of Digging comp and Madlib’s sample of “Heaven” for a Madvillian” track. Pieces is very smooth sounding, maybe tepid to some, but it’s really a record you can put on in the background and not notice it’s even playing. It’s very pleasing to the ears, yet there are some tracks that demand your attention namely, “In My life” that segways into a break beat treat, the Rhodes riddled, upbeat jazz disco tune “Heaven”, the Spanish-tinged “Another Day Gone,” and much more.

Stonesthrow records has gotten with the program and reissured Cassell’s work, packaged in a complete retrospective conveniently available on iTunes. From Soulstrut page

No. 72: Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73820/)

Never heard of it! Have now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3xZt7ggnuL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StH_tjCczk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cexa7ULeX6g&feature=player_embedded

feenix
25-05-2012, 04:34 AM
#71 -The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73864/)
:cool:

Ian Townsend
25-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Cheers Feenix. Let's whack some sound and vision on for that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L762HQ-ha7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nHoKH8HNqn8

:)

cellardweller
25-05-2012, 04:42 PM
what an enjoyable thread. certainly many of us will share familiarity with the selections from the soulstrut hot 100 (& even a few from boney's '96 wants). most of these records were revived by online obsessives, & once mediated, & positively promoted, they penetrated the mainstream, becoming more widely known & commanding higher prices among collectors. rightly so, many set high standards in listening pleasure & stay with you long after the first time you hear them: 'nautilus', 'heaven', 'funky nassau' are just 3 examples. with 'osmium' already included, i trust there will be more parliament/funkadelic featured further ahead.

mr sayers
25-05-2012, 07:38 PM
i trust there will be more parliament/funkadelic featured further ahead.

I'm sure Funkadelic's S/T debut will make the list....

feenix
27-05-2012, 03:44 AM
#70 - Big Bear - Doin' Thangs (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73886/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TfqdaAGqmSk

Soul Strut Quotes

I can't be mad with this making the list, because that cover art is so facemelting. But hands up Strutters, who has *actually* given this is a spin?

Without ever hearing it I know that I love this record more than probably half of my actual collection. I would never sully my relationship with Big Bear by actually listening to this LP, it's too pure the way it is.

This list lost all it's credibility with this one. You're joking right? This is better than BJ One, Hard 2 Earn, Sabbath??? All of a sudden I hate this list.

:cool::p:rolleyes:;)

Ian Townsend
27-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Mad!

I can only guess that Big Bear is to Soul Strut what Todd is to Waxidermy and Badgers are to VG+? I guess you had to be there.

I was contemplating doing a Pen and Pixel feature for the art section of the main website purely based on the massive popularity of the designers with Hip Hoppers throughout the 90s and the fact that their work is so identifiable. Their own particular garish / gauche niche; like bad art done by sixth formers who've only just met Photoshop, is so bad it could possibly be argued that it's good.

Possibly..... :p

EDIT: and that promo video is sumthin' else entirely:D

mr sayers
30-05-2012, 01:54 PM
In at No 69.

I still see copies of this for cheap, but Ive yet to pick a copy up, I think I'm put off by the fact you can still get for cheap!:o

Ian Townsend
31-05-2012, 12:33 PM
In at No 69.

I still see copies of this for cheap, but Ive yet to pick a copy up, I think I'm put off by the fact you can still get for cheap!:o
FINALLY!!! One I can recommend to YOU Craig. :)

To my ears it's a great easy listening lp, so it might not quite be your bag. Tedious as it may sound, the only Steely dan lp I like more than this is Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly,' but all Steely Dan / Steely Dan-related lps are worth getting IMHO except Kamikiriad which left me a bit cold.

mr sayers
31-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I keep meaning to grab a copy Ian mate, Nige keeps telling me to get it too...

Ian Townsend
02-06-2012, 09:12 PM
And it's moved on to No. 68.... Quasimoto - The Unseen (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73929/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_2apOP4WM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i3LfTX7d7K8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9z0EGPaQKw&feature=player_embedded

mr sayers
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Ive never managed to get into Madlib, god knows Ive tried, but his stuff just sucks the life out of me, especially that Yesterdays New Quintet stuff he did!:(

mr sayers
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
In at 67.

I got this LP in a charity the best part of ten years ago, and it's never been on the deck, such is my love of live LP's!:o

Ian Townsend
04-06-2012, 06:58 PM
In at 67.

I got this LP in a charity the best part of ten years ago, and it's never been on the deck, such is my love of live LP's!:o

Love me some Curtis and I'm OK with live lps, Thin Lizzy, Donny Hathaway etc. I also have to confess that I was one of the millions that bought Frampton Comes Alive many years ago.....:D (Liked that too!) And The Tubes Live LP was a favourite backintheday. Whatever happened to Fee Waybill and how the hell did he get that name? :D

mr sayers
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I love Curtis too especially his debut, which I hope makes the top 100!!!!:cool:

ceemillar
06-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Some real classics popping up now and some surprises I don't know and its all moving a lot faster than I thought it would. Great to see Bob James and Steely Dan in there.:)

Ian Townsend
07-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Some real classics popping up now and some surprises I don't know and its all moving a lot faster than I thought it would. Great to see Bob James and Steely Dan in there.:)
Welcome back C.
I gather Greece was empty?:D
Peeps on BBC news yesterday said they had hotels all to themselves?
Mad.

feenix
08-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Glad you're keeping up with this guys.

#66 - Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73960/)

auxillary_output
08-06-2012, 07:05 AM

#66 - Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73960/)
Quite right too.:cool: Just a wonderful listen from start to finish. I'd argue it should have placed higher but at least it's in there. When are we going to see The Impressions I wonder?

mr sayers
08-06-2012, 02:52 PM

My favourite Al Green record. I'm not the biggest fan of soul but I love Al Green, I remember getting a good batch of his LP's dirt cheap and this was amongst them.:cool:

mr sayers
12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Great LP to my ears, a real solid listen to my ears !:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7a6s1cupLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8X-8s6TwBE&feature=related

Cadet concept is one of my favourite labels, still sadly missing 'Colonel Bagshot', sure there'll be more releases on the label making the list.

feenix
14-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Y'all missed out #65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73982/)

mr sayers
14-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Y'all missed out #65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73982/)

I was gonna post that, but I wasn't too sure how many people would be into it on here.:o Decent LP, their 'Intoxicated Demons' EP the released prior is much better IMO.:cool:

feenix
16-06-2012, 04:39 AM
I was gonna post that, but I wasn't too sure how many people would be into it on here.:o Decent LP, their 'Intoxicated Demons' EP the released prior is much better IMO.:cool:
I'll hazard a guess you'll like #63?

#63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74008/)

mr sayers
16-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I'll hazard a guess you'll like #63?

#63 - Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & the Soul Brother (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74008/)

I love number 63, one of Hip Hop's high points for sure.:cool:

feenix
24-06-2012, 05:20 AM
No update for the Top 100 as Strutters are way too busy shaking their heads in awesome disbelief.

Bell-less Bob James Mardi Gras- related (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74039/).

;)

mr sayers
24-06-2012, 01:39 PM
No update for the Top 100 as Strutters are way too busy shaking their heads in awesome disbelief.

Bell-less Bob James Mardi Gras- related (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74039/).

;)

Great thread, enjoyed the other one where certain people made a t*t of them selves, NAGL as they say over there!:p

feenix
25-06-2012, 06:05 AM
enjoyed the other one where certain people mad a t*t of them selves
:D Not for the first time. 'The internet isn't good for some folks' or whatever that quote was....

Ian Townsend
25-06-2012, 06:58 AM
:D Not for the first time. 'The internet isn't good for some folks' or whatever that quote was....
Yeeeeeeeeeeuuuup! If we're talkin' about DJ Sheep....I had to ban him over at VG+ for guess what? Threatening a member via PM. Same old, same old. If he could've just stopped that and lightened up it would have been fine. It's all a bit intense.

Twio sides to every story though!

The flipside of that is that LDJB met him in real life and said he's a really nice guy and a very good DJ. I guess some people really can't deal with forums / message boards and take too much to heart? I'd really like to interview him at some point just about music / the internet / his deck skills etc..

98. Donny Hathaway S/T
94. Harlem River Drive
90. Les McCann - Layers
89. Jimi Hendrix – Electric Ladyland
88. Leroy Hutson – Hutson (1975)
87. ESG S/T
86. Can – Tago Mago
85. Bohannon – Stop And Go
84. William De Vaughn Be Thankful For What You’ve Got
83. Power of Zeus – Gospel According To Zeus
82. Gang Star – Hard To Earn
81. The J.B’s – Doing It To Death
80. Parliament – Osmium
79. McNeal & Niles – Thrust
78. Lafayette Afro Rock Band - - Malik
77. Earth, Wind & Fire – S/T
76. Dr Dre – The Chronic
75. Black Sabbath – 1st (1970)
74. Trapdoor – International Mystery Mix
73. Bob James – One
72. Matthew Larkin Cassell – In My Life
71. The Beginning Of The End – Funky Nassau
70. Big Bear – Doin’ Thangs
69. Steely Dan – Aja
68. Quasimoto – The Unseen
67. Curtis Mayfield – Live
66. Al Green – I’m Still In Love With You
65. The Beatnuts – Street Level
64. Archie Whitewater – S/T
63. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – Mecca & The Soul Brother

mr sayers
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Been a while since they've update, but they've just added the above.

To say I hate it would be an understatement!!!!:mad:

Ian Townsend
03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Been a while since they've update, but they've just added the above.

To say I hate it would be an understatement!!!!:mad:
We'll have to agree to disagree Craig...that's one of very few Hip Hop lps I know inside out and really like! :o

I'm guessing it sounds too poppy / cinematically dramatic for you? Bit over done?

mr sayers
03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree Craig...that's one of very few Hip Hop lps I know inside out and really like! :o

I'm guessing it sounds too poppy / cinematically dramatic for you? Bit over done?

Too thuggy for me with lame ploddy beats and a MC with a lisp, not a good mix to my ears Ian mate!!!!

feenix
09-07-2012, 06:18 AM
I ride for Ready to Die but ride a whole lot harder for Life After Death.

mr sayers
11-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Great LP, sure there'll be more JB's LP's making the list, I'd be surprised if my fave 'Damn right I'm somebody' doesn't make the list too.

It took me ages to get a copy of 'Food for though', it was worth the wait though as I ended up getting a mint copy for quid in the charities.:cool:

feenix
16-07-2012, 05:06 AM
#60 - Don Blackman (1982) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74167/)

mr sayers
16-07-2012, 09:35 AM
^ I daren't listen to the clips posted of the above, I'm sure it will not be my bag!:o

feenix
19-07-2012, 04:49 AM
#59 - Niagara (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74192/)

Ian Townsend
19-07-2012, 06:43 AM
#59 - Niagara (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74192/)
'Tiddies' is surely incorrect? Tiddy - singular....or is there another one on the back cover? Remember first hearing Sadadadadadadongo or whatever it's called on a Swap CD. Blimey it was drummy!

Interesting there is very little known about it apart from the fact that it's a whole bunch of German sessioneers.

mr sayers
24-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Great LP, infact my favourite by them.:)

treeboy
24-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Great LP, infact my favourite by them.:)

What a band! What a drummer! Gonna have to go and slam it on the turntable now.

feenix
25-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Can only agree. :p

feenix
28-07-2012, 05:56 AM
# 57 - Whatnauts - On The Rocks (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74244/)

stringer
28-07-2012, 05:34 PM
No doubting the excellence of some of these LPs but it feels more like a memorial to Crate Digging Greats circa 2005. Soul Strut is still breathing socially but where's the buzz of fresh discoveries? Things have moved on.

feenix
01-08-2012, 04:54 AM
No doubting the excellence of some of these LPs but it feels more like a memorial to Crate Digging Greats circa 2005. Soul Strut is still breathing socially but where's the buzz of fresh discoveries? Things have moved on.
Dude what's your problem exactly? :mad: A live and kicking community love their music, vote for favourites and have a poll about LPs that unite them. How's that a memorial? And fresh discoveries are still discussed regularly.

Deal or go troll somewhere else.

#56 - The Mohawks - The Champ (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74262/)

treeboy
01-08-2012, 05:49 AM

How's about bringing us up to speed with some of your new discoveries. No sarcasm intended. Everyone on here wants to hear good music, new to their ears whichever era it comes from I'm sure.:)

treeboy
01-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Catching up on this list, pleased to see Black Sabbath at 75. You couldn't give this album away at one time. I used to go to Andys Records in Cambridge late 70s/early 80s, and the B racks were full of Sabbath, bursting! Nobody on the Soulstrut discussion flagged up my favourite off the album. Always good to hear this one. The drums...the drums.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjspyo-_aI

feenix
07-08-2012, 05:22 AM
#55 - McDonald and Giles (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74295/)

mr sayers
07-08-2012, 08:07 AM
#55 - McDonald and Giles (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74295/)

Great LP, love 'Tomorrow's people' on there.:cool:

feenix
15-08-2012, 04:48 AM
#54 - Darondo - Let My People Go (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74333/)

Ian Townsend
21-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Meant to say, thank you Feenix, Craig and everyone else who's kept this thread going. :cool:

I'm working on creating a 'Wall of Soul Strut Top 100' lp covers thing for the Scenes* section of the main site. There are some articles coming all about Forums anyway and it will be a good excuse to post up some comments about Soul Strut I've collected from various interviews.

Be nice to have a quick visual reference to their Top 100 so you can say 'Got that. Haven't Got that. Need that. I'll swap you that for....' etc School playground Top Trumps / Pokemon stylee.

I figure just because a group of people don't necessarily all meet in one place physically it still counts as a scene.

mr sayers
24-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Great LP, prefer her 'Rubaiyat of' it has to be said, sure that will make the list also.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74423/

treeboy
25-08-2012, 08:39 AM
The thing I like about this list is it's making me get out records I haven't played for some time. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the hip hop and more recent stuff on the list, (it's proving to be a bit of an education!) but when something like this pops up it's great. Soul Vibrations......what a monster brooding piece of music. I'm off into the racks.

feenix
27-08-2012, 05:29 AM
The thing I like about this list is it's making me get out records I haven't played for some time. .
A lot of SS members feel the same way. The last 20 years has been a whirlwind. Time to reap it!
The top 50 is going to be killer after killer.

feenix
02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
#52 - Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique. (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74467/)

Undisputed classic I think.

mr sayers
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
A truly great LP, I remember the British music press slating it at the time, I was glad I ignored them and got it for a £1 at Woolworths. One of the high points of Hip Hop and sampling if you ask me. Still sounds fresh and creative today!!!!:cool:

feenix
14-09-2012, 06:47 AM
# 51 - Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu of Ethiopia (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74543/)
The first 50 done and dusted. Top 50 to follow.

Slowly.;)

Ian Townsend
20-09-2012, 06:29 AM
And reading re-visiting the fireworks of the Mitt Romney thread I just noticed SS has declared 50 not out.

50: Lyman Woodard Organization: Saturday Night Special (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74586/)

Time to sell, sell, sell...

treeboy
20-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow! Never heard this album until half an hour ago. Listened to a couple of tracks on the SS site, and found myself doing a buy it now on a vinyl reissue. Loving this thread. :)

ceemillar
05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
They've just posted number :49 and it's Isaac Hayes Hot Buttered Soul. (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74680/)
http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74680/

feenix
13-10-2012, 05:31 AM
#48 - Lyn Collins - Think ( about it) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74713/)

feenix
24-10-2012, 04:03 AM
#47 - James Brown - In The Jungle Groove (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74781/)

feenix
05-11-2012, 05:11 AM
#46 - Bill Withers - Still Bill (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74832/)

Ian Townsend
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
45: Stevie Wonder: Innervisions

Probably the best known / bestselling lp in the list so far.......

feenix
13-11-2012, 01:57 AM
#44 - Silver Apples - S/T (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74906/)

treeboy
13-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Oh yes! Out there with The Fifty Foot Hose. Not much else in that ball park at that time.

mr sayers
13-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh yes! Out there with The Fifty Foot Hose. Not much else in that ball park at that time.

Bruce Haack is up there for me.:cool:

treeboy
13-11-2012, 11:07 PM
One for me to look up. Just been blown away by the total eclipse in NW Australia....

Ian Townsend
14-11-2012, 08:13 AM
One for me to look up. Just been blown away by the total eclipse in NW Australia....
Whoah! Nice. :cool:

Confession time:
I have never heard the Silver Apples or Fifty Foot Hose lps (excepting the odd track on Swap CDs and boots)
Nor Bruce Haack.

(Sorry....:o)

mr sayers
14-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Here you go guy's...Desert island disc status for me, just incredible stuff -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7BCyF3xiY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etnLQ7sbeRg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRkJsEJFOk&feature=related

Electric Lucifer Book Two -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eq9QBPZlXA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsa5bp8d4y0&feature=related

ENJOY!!!

mr sayers
14-11-2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu6GeQJfrI0&feature=related

treeboy
14-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Flipping marvellous stuff. Bit of a revelation to me I must say. That's the reason I keep coming back though.:cool:

treeboy
17-11-2012, 07:57 AM
A taster of the fifty foot hose

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ItCmFjYbic

feenix
20-11-2012, 03:31 AM
#43 - Mobb Deep - The Infamous (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74930/P0/)

feenix
29-11-2012, 04:58 AM
#42 - Lyn Christopher - (1973) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74986/)

feenix
01-12-2012, 04:53 AM
#41 - Serge Gainsbourg - Melody Nelson (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74991/)

Ian Townsend
01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Really thought that one might be higher what with it's legendary status an' all. Looking forward to seeing the top 40 now.

Thanks for keeping us posted....:)

feenix
05-12-2012, 05:31 AM
#40 - Gang Starr - Step in the Arena (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75005/)

mr sayers
05-12-2012, 01:57 PM
^ Their best LP, couldn't get enough of this when it dropped. Used to rock it on my walkman, think I had the first Poor Righteous Teachers on the other side!:cool:

mr sayers
05-12-2012, 01:58 PM
#41 - Serge Gainsbourg - Melody Nelson (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74991/)

Truly great LP, should be higher if you ask me!

Ian Townsend
05-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Another one for Mr Sayers? The Hip Hop is coming thick and fast now......

#39 - Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75019/)

I'm going to give all the Hip Hop on this list a good listen next year. The whole genre passed me by and then I hear the odd track here and there that blows me away.

I just shoehorned Gud Cide's - Contradictions onto my VG+ CD. Love it!

mr sayers
05-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Great LP Ian mate, still don't have an OG, was a tough pull back in the day as it was promo only. It's come down a lot in price since then so I should really make the effort to get a copy!:cool:

ironheadrat
06-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Truly short LP, should be longer if you ask me!

Yes.

mr sayers
06-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes.

Agreed, I could listen to for another hour a least!:D

Campag Record
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Great LP Ian mate, still don't have an OG, was a tough pull back in the day as it was promo only. It's come down a lot in price since then so I should really make the effort to get a copy!:cool:

C'mon dude. You're not gonna sacrifice a good psych LP so you can have an OG Stunts LP for $150 :p

Classic LP Ian. Well worth checking out.

mr sayers
10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
$150 gets you a mighty fine psych LP Nige mate!;)

feenix
13-12-2012, 03:20 AM
#38 - Terry Callier - What Color Is Love (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75045/)

feenix
18-12-2012, 05:39 AM
#37 - David Axelrod - Song of Innocence (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75075/)

treeboy
18-12-2012, 03:44 PM
#37 - David Axelrod - Song of Innocence (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75075/)

Superb, genre defying album. Wasn't a common album over here. Thirty plus years ago, people talked about it, but hardly anyone (certainly not me) seemed to have heard it. Parts of it stand up as sounding contemporary, but I think that is more to do with the influence of the re-discovered Axelrod sound being absorbed and bleeding through intonew sounds.
Holy Thursday STILL gives me chills. Not many instrumental tracks do, but this one does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxdnq_1OcM

mr sayers
18-12-2012, 07:33 PM
^ Great LP, would love to own a UK copy!

feenix
20-12-2012, 02:55 AM
#36 - The Invaders - Spacing Out (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75089/)

treeboy
20-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Anyone heard the reissue on Duane?

Ian Townsend
21-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Anyone heard the reissue on Duane?
I haven't but I bet some folks at Waxi or SS would have word on it. I can't remember exactly, was this the lp that famously had unsold copies chucked in a dumpster? I vaguely remember a back story like that.:confused:

treeboy
21-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Left outside with a "help youself" note as I remember:(

feenix
29-01-2013, 05:31 AM
#35 - Leo Sayer - Endless Flight (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75281/)

Leo Sayers' "Endless Flight" LP is one of the most sought after albums of the 70s. Legend has it Sayer borrowed $100,000 from the mob to record the album on a state of the art Fisher Quadrosonic 67 track tape system and a vintage Neve mixing console used on the Beatles' Abbey Road sessions. When the album was rejected by Warner Brothers, he resorted to a private press run of 200,000... many of which were destroyed in a Van Nuys, CA warehouse fire in 1977.

The album today is heralded as a lost gem by disco fanatics and hip hop sample based producers. Tracks like "No Business Like Love Business", "I Think We Fell In Love Too Fast", and "Hold On To My Love" exemplify Sayer's indelible falsetto vocals and rough funk rhythm accompaniments.

His career soared in the late 90s when UK rare groove DJ Angus Wilkenson picked up on the dance cut... "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Which took the rare groove and vinyl collecting scene by storm and caused the 45 release to fetch for over $1,000 on online auction sites like eBay.

Today this extremely rare record can be found reissued on the NYC based imprint... GOTCHA! records.

Ian Townsend
29-01-2013, 07:44 AM
#35 - Leo Sayer - Endless Flight (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75281/)
Today this extremely rare record can be found reissued on the NYC based imprint... GOTCHA! records.
:D I was too late to Soulstrut to enjoy the regular flurry of Endless Flight spinning gifs onto unsuspecting newbies. Soulstrut comedy gold indeed. :)

feenix
01-02-2013, 05:27 AM
#34 - Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75294/)

feenix
05-02-2013, 03:04 AM
#33 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Brainfreeze (Mix) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75324/)

mr sayers
05-02-2013, 12:17 PM
#34 - Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75294/)

One the best Hip Hop LP's of all time, nothing sounded like it at the time and nothing has since really, not even another Public Enemy LP!:cool:

mr sayers
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
#33 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Brainfreeze (Mix) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75324/)

As good as it was it didn't blow me away like it seems to have done to a lot of people, in fact Ive only ever listened to it a hand full of times. I would tend to agree with this statement from the first reply over on Strut -

"This was ground zero for middle class white students listening to scratching and cutting"

feenix
12-02-2013, 05:35 AM
#32 - Michael Jackson - Thriller (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75340/)

Ian Townsend
12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
#32 - Michael Jackson - Thriller (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75340/)

A-w-e-s-o-m-e and unfu*kable with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXhy7ZsiR50

mr sayers
12-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Never been able to get away with Michael Jackson, always just associate it with the 80's rubbish on the radio when I was growing up!:o

treeboy
12-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Hold up! He's not "lip-syncing" is he?:rolleyes:

Ian Townsend
12-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Hold up! He's not "lip-syncing" is he?:rolleyes:
:D Yeah but GTFOOHWTBS.:p

There are proper live recordings of him that are spine- tinglingly good. There's a live version of Rock With You on the back of an MJ 12" single that's absolutely stunning.

feenix
26-02-2013, 04:33 AM
#31 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75437/P0/)

mr sayers
26-02-2013, 02:26 PM
^ Got the LP somewhere, can't say Ive made it all the way through it, only had it the deck the once. I know i'm in a minority but I just can't get into him!:o

feenix
05-03-2013, 06:03 AM
#30 - De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75469/)

feenix
09-03-2013, 05:48 AM
#29 - Ray Barretto - Acid (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75512/)
Whipping up the Strutters big time! Token Latin For Beginners? ;)

Ian Townsend
09-03-2013, 07:09 AM
#29 - Ray Barretto - Acid (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75512/)
Not so bothered by that as by the dismissal of Boogaloo as cheesy? Don't understand that at all!

treeboy
09-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Hands up... guilty as charged, it was my first Latin record. I have to say I don't own too many more either. I think it's a killer, and will watch the developing"discussion" for some pointers to other Latin goodness.

mr sayers
09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Hands up... guilty as charged, it was my first Latin record. I have to say I don't own too many more either. I think it's a killer, and will watch the developing"discussion" for some pointers to other Latin goodness.

Me too.:o

effi_deep
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM

thats the first real surprise to me.
"just" a decent latin record imo.

ironheadrat
11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Not so bothered by that as by the dismissal of Boogaloo as cheesy? Don't understand that at all!

Loads of boogaloo is sock it to me cheesy, but cheese can be glorious. I got into latin at the time when charly were doing boogaloo comps in the late 80s/early 90s, and have great memories of some of that stuff . Still, I've always got more pleasure out of hard salsa, mambo or latin jazz than boogaloo (the timbales never get leathered long or hard enough for me on a 3 minute latin soul track and you're basically missing the entire son montuno section, which is where all the action is in salsa ) , but about eight years ago the internet gradually revealed loads of Peruvian/Colombian and other S. American boogaloo which was a real eye-opener - often a lot harder and not so 'crossover' as the NY stuff.

Acid's a good record - personally I can't listen to Soul Drummers anymore, or the other soul/funk ones on there, but Barretto always included something deeply roots and heavy on his records. Even after listening to Cuban congueros for a while, I'm always surprised by how good he is, and how musically generous he always was.

ironheadrat
11-03-2013, 12:30 AM
I understand the complaints. For latin heads, this is about the same as listing Exodus, Marcus Garvey or King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown if and when Soul strut finally acknowledge the existence of reggae. Great records, but, well, you know...

feenix
13-03-2013, 05:37 AM
#28 - The Sylvers - Sylvers II (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75532/)

feenix
18-03-2013, 06:05 AM
#27 - Donald Byrd - Places And Spaces (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75564/)

Ian Townsend
18-03-2013, 08:14 AM
#27 - Donald Byrd - Places And Spaces (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75564/)
Brilliant lp I discovered via that 'A Touch of Jazz' 12" many, many moons ago. I only knew his Dominoes before that from big brother being obssessed with it when it came out.

mr sayers
18-03-2013, 09:14 AM
^Great LP, my kind of jazz, one of the better Blue note LP's.:cool:

treeboy
18-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Once again, my horizons have been expanded! Didn't know this lp at all, but really like what I've heard on the vids :)

ironheadrat
18-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Once again, my horizons have been expanded! Didn't know this lp at all, but really like what I've heard on the vids :)

I always think everyone picks the wrong tracks. They're all great but You & Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YnVvLd_om8) stands above them all for me.
It's the first track I taped for the first driving cassette I made about seven years ago, and if the weather is right I can cue it up just right for cresting the hill and seeing the volcanoes, the dunes and the ocean laid out ahead. Got a rainbow once, too.

treeboy
19-03-2013, 06:57 AM
I always think everyone picks the wrong tracks. They're all great but You & Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YnVvLd_om8) stands above them all for me.
It's the first track I taped for the first driving cassette I made about seven years ago, and if the weather is right I can cue it up just right for cresting the hill and seeing the volcanoes, the dunes and the ocean laid out ahead. Got a rainbow once, too.

From that, I take it you are not from foggy old Essex like me! Almost sounds like a good new thread, "What's the perfect music for cresting the hill.................":)
The serious thumbs ups indicate I'm gonna have to check this one out properly.

Ian Townsend
20-03-2013, 09:02 PM
26: Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75602/)
I had no idea I knew anything of tis lp until I played the Uht Ah Mi Hed track which was on someone's Swap Cd.

Great track!
Checking the others out, I'm thinking need this on CD for the car.

feenix
08-04-2013, 05:25 AM
#25 - Nas - Illmatic (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75726/P0/)
:cool:

ceemillar
15-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Raj just announced No. 24 - The Baby Huey Story- Living Legend. (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75784/)

mr sayers
15-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Killer record, solid from start to finish...So really try and track down the 45's off it.:cool:

feenix
18-04-2013, 05:32 AM
#23 - Roy Ayers - He's Coming (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75796/)

Ian Townsend
18-04-2013, 07:34 AM
#23 - Roy Ayers - He's Coming (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75796/)
For shame, I've never seen this.

My knowledge of Roy Ayers is limited solely to a Greatest Hits compilation. I love stuff like I LIve In Brooklyn, Everybody Loves The Sunshine etc....but never went further. :o

mr sayers
18-04-2013, 08:10 AM
This and Coffey soundtrack are his best efforts IMO Ian mate.

Shame my copy of 'He's coming' is rough as a badgers arse, bought it over on Soul strut, should have sent it back!:(

feenix
25-04-2013, 05:13 AM
#22 - Kool and the Gang - (Album)(1969) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75827/)

mr sayers
25-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Another killer lp, tough pull too, one of the best funk LP's ever IMO.:cool:

Ian Townsend
25-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Another killer lp, tough pull too, one of the best funk LP's ever IMO.:cool:
Embarassed (once again!) to say I'd never seen this! I have Live at PJ's and Music Is The Message and had presumed they were the earliest ones. Doh.

mr sayers
25-04-2013, 12:03 PM
You also need to check their 'Best of' the one with the gold sleeve, think that was their 2nd LP, essential stuff Ian mate.;)

All there early LP's are great!:cool:

treeboy
25-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Never could understand Why Funky Man wasn't on this record:confused: It's the only earl Kool that I've got.
Check out this vid featuring that tune:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2D0hoLUjU

feenix
02-05-2013, 02:35 AM
#21 - Demon Fuzz -Afreaka! (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75858/)

Ian Townsend
02-05-2013, 06:57 AM
#21 - Demon Fuzz -Afreaka! (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75858/)
I'm loving the soundclips from that. I'm sure I've read threads that bang on about it being a one-tracker? Sounds cool to my ears. :confused:

Ian Townsend
17-05-2013, 03:47 PM
At last! One I recognize! Number 20 is Curtis Mayfield - Curtis. (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75928/) Fantastic lp.

mr sayers
17-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm loving the soundclips from that. I'm sure I've read threads that bang on about it being a one-tracker? Sounds cool to my ears. :confused:

Solid listen to my ears Ian mate, if you dig one track I'm sure you'll dig the rest!;)

Also one of the best covers ever!:cool:

mr sayers
20-05-2013, 04:33 PM
http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75947/

A truly great LP from start to finish, uniquely funky yet still out there!:cool:

AlanP
21-05-2013, 03:42 AM
was just wading thru the soul strut threads - loved the leo sayer bit. have to admit I started to wonder what I'd missed there till I read the blurb. I take it that's a long running gag?

feenix
21-05-2013, 04:16 AM
was just wading thru the soul strut threads - loved the leo sayer bit. have to admit I started to wonder what I'd missed there till I read the blurb. I take it that's a long running gag?
It certainly was! Soul Strut's roots are in Hip Hop and in the early days new posters would suddenly appear on the board to to ask what a certain break was. Regular board members would always say' it's on this!' and post a picture of the Leo Sayer lp. Other members would add stuff about what an amazing album it was for breaks and over time we started to see Leo Sayer lps selling for silly money. It was just a bit of fun which led to spinning Gifs and eventually a Leo Sayer Soul Strut T- shirt.

Big Bear Doin' Thangs is another in that vein. It just became a big board in- joke. The Soul Strut chart is all about records that really mean something to Soul Strutters. 98% of it IS great music. Leo and Big Bear are the 2% that are memorable to SS posters for other reasons.

mr sayers
21-05-2013, 07:42 PM
That Leo Sayer LP has been sampled though?:confused:

Ian Townsend
21-05-2013, 08:49 PM
That Leo Sayer LP has been sampled though?:confused:
The way Brother Logic explained it to me was that any enquiry from a newbie about the source of any break was answered with the Leo Sayer lp.

SS regulars understood the joke which was aimed primarily at those '1 post' type members who just sign up to have a burning question answered without contributing / sharing knowledge in any other discussions.

I wish I had a Soul Strut / Leo Sayer T-Shirt.....:(

AlanP
22-05-2013, 02:45 AM
It certainly was! Soul Strut's roots are in Hip Hop and in the early days new posters would suddenly appear on the board to to ask what a certain break was. Regular board members would always say' it's on this!' and post a picture of the Leo Sayer lp. Other members would add stuff about what an amazing album it was for breaks and over time we started to see Leo Sayer lps selling for silly money. It was just a bit of fun which led to spinning Gifs and eventually a Leo Sayer Soul Strut T- shirt.

Big Bear Doin' Thangs is another in that vein. It just became a big board in- joke. The Soul Strut chart is all about records that really mean something to Soul Strutters. 98% of it IS great music. Leo and Big Bear are the 2% that are memorable to SS posters for other reasons.

ah, it's all clear to me now.

I hope it also resulted in the odd Sayer track being played out in clubs as well, rick rolling styles, minus the sarky irony.

treeboy
22-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Caption competition anyone?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hcstQcuRtqs/TAMHjv8CpJI/AAAAAAAAAcc/Nkt9IbX13Dc/s1600/Sayer+-+Leo-+Record+looking.jpg

1st prize, a copy of Endless Flight
2nd prize, two copies.............:rolleyes:

ironheadrat
22-05-2013, 10:20 AM
While walking past Newcastle City Hall sometime in the 80s, I was invited in by a bloke who asked me if I wanted to hear Leo Sayer. I didn't really want to hear Leo Sayer, but I went in anyway.

Leo was soundchecking for his performance later that night, and he performed a song which I forget just for me (and the sound engineers, lighting guys etc, but they don't count).

when he had finished he invited me up on stage, offered me a bottle of Smirnoff and let me have a go on his vocoder while he deftly beat-juggled two copies of Funky President. then we went backstage and tried on Leo's costumes. Dressed as pierrots, we then went on a pub crawl, and won 25 quid in a pub quiz in which one of the questions was "Who had a hit with "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing", which Leo then performed to the drinkers while I did some pierrot dancing.

That last paragraph isn't true - I just sidled out after Leo sang just for me - but I have always had a soft spot for him ever since.

Ian Townsend
22-05-2013, 02:53 PM
While walking past Newcastle City Hall sometime in the 80s, I was invited in by a bloke who asked me if I wanted to hear Leo Sayer. I didn't really want to hear Leo Sayer, but I went in anyway.

Leo was soundchecking for his performance later that night, and he performed a song which I forget just for me (and the sound engineers, lighting guys etc, but they don't count).

when he had finished he invited me up on stage, offered me a bottle of Smirnoff and let me have a go on his vocoder while he deftly beat-juggled two copies of Funky President. then we went backstage and tried on Leo's costumes. Dressed as pierrots, we then went on a pub crawl, and won 25 quid in a pub quiz in which one of the questions was "Who had a hit with "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing", which Leo then performed to the drinkers while I did some pierrot dancing.

That last paragraph isn't true - I just sidled out after Leo sang just for me - but I have always had a soft spot for him ever since.
:D Substitute Leo for Geri Halliwell and that's my dream right there! I don't fancy her in any way at all but from things I've read and seen I know she'd be brilliant company and a great laugh on a night out. :o

ironheadrat
24-05-2013, 09:00 AM
:D Substitute Leo for Geri Halliwell and that's my dream right there! I don't fancy her in any way at all but from things I've read and seen I know she'd be brilliant company and a great laugh on a night out. :o

Yes. I was also invited to a Spice Girls soundcheck in the late 90s and can confirm that not only is Geri great fun, but she was also by far the most inventive lover of the five.

feenix
03-06-2013, 04:26 AM
#18 - Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75989/)

#17 - Placebo - Ball Of Eyes (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76001/)

feenix
06-06-2013, 03:20 AM
#16 - Arthur Verocai - S/T (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76024/)

feenix
25-06-2013, 05:07 AM
#15 - A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76084/)

feenix
28-06-2013, 02:53 AM
#14 - S.O.U.L - What Is It (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76125/)

feenix
10-07-2013, 04:22 AM
#13 - Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76177/)

treeboy
10-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Hooray!! One I've got:cool: Heaviosity of the first degree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVHrvx-Ua68

Ian Townsend
10-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Hooray!! One I've got:cool: Heaviosity of the first degree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVHrvx-Ua68

Same here!

I can see people very quickly deciding they want to 'own' the Soulstrut canon and shelf space being allotted for it and full marks to Raj for organizing it. Incredible to me though how 'frozen in time' this chart already is.

Difficult to put into words but it feels very much like a list of top records from ten years ago...pre the European / African / Asian exploration of labels like Sublime Frequencies / Finders Keepers etc and most definitely pre- Waxidermy with their already evolved canon of private press lps.

I'm halfway through working out 'canons' for both Waxidermy and Very Good Plus as neither board has done or will do it. I think it would make for an interesting discussion on those boards.

I'm feeling more and more that Stark Reality will be the No. 1 in this list for it's desirability and the interaction the board had with Monty..... I think Craig predicted that much earlier in this thread.

mr sayers
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
^ Great record, surprises me that it wasn't their debut seen as it's Soulstrut, tough call though to name your favourite Funkadelic record!

Stark reality will be top ten for sure Ian mate!;)

feenix
23-07-2013, 05:00 AM
#12 - Boscoe (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76232/)

feenix
02-08-2013, 12:43 AM
#11 - RAMP - Come Into Knowledge (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76288/)

feenix
07-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Heated debate about the content of the Soul Strut Top 100.

Soul Strut Top 10: Your Predictions? (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76291/)

What needs to be in the top 10? (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76314/)

Ian Townsend
07-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Well someone got one of them right!

#10 - Bob James Two (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76317/)

(including Mardi Gras with or without the bells:D)

feenix
15-08-2013, 03:20 AM
#9 - Syl Johnson - Is It Because I'm Black? (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76356/)

mr sayers
22-08-2013, 09:23 PM
#9 - Syl Johnson - Is It Because I'm Black? (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76356/)

Great record, would love to find a copy, only own the 45.:cool:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76392/

Can't beat the early Meters, the first three are hard filed !:cool:

feenix
03-09-2013, 04:48 AM
#8 - The Meters - S/T (1969) (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76392/)
#7 - Michael Jackson - Off The Wall (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76423/)

treeboy
03-09-2013, 05:36 AM
I was chuckling away reading the comments relating to Off The Wall. Amazing that some people will skip over an album simply because it's too commercially successful with the wider populace. Probably the same people who bemoan the fact that the most obscure album in their collection wasn't a huge hit.....but then, they probably wouldn't like it anyway because it's too friggin' popular!:confused: Of course it deserves it's place up there, mainly because it was votedr for by The Strutters without chips on their shoulders.
Loving the chart by the way Feenix, been a real education for me:cool:

Ian Townsend
03-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I was chuckling away reading the comments relating to Off The Wall. Amazing that some people will skip over an album simply because it's too commercially successful with the wider populace. Probably the same people who bemoan the fact that the most obscure album in their collection wasn't a huge hit.....but then, they probably wouldn't like it anyway because it's too friggin' popular!:confused: Of course it deserves it's place up there, mainly because it was votedr for by The Strutters without chips on their shoulders.
Loving the chart by the way Feenix, been a real education for me:cool:
Delighted to report that Soul Strut founder RAJ was kind enough to let me interview him about Soul Strut, its origins and the Soul Strut 100. Hoping to have the interview complete to coincide with a Soul Strut 100 web page (which is only missing 6 LPs right now! :))

treeboy
03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Looking forward to that one:)

mr sayers
03-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Nice one Ian mate, I can't wait...Hope Hcrink is reading!;)

Ian Townsend
04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Nice one Ian mate, I can't wait...Hope Hcrink is reading!;)
Fingers crossed he'll agree to an interview too!

feenix
17-09-2013, 02:18 AM
#6 - Eddie Kendricks - People Hold On (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76447/)

#5 - Skull Snaps - S/ T (http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76463/)